Sign in to follow this  

12 tooth front, 53 tooth rear

I have a 2011 Husky TE 250. It came with a 13 tooth front and 50 tooth rear sprocket. I am only interested in low end performance and don't care about going over 55-60. Besides the wear on parts I am hearing about, is there any reason I wouldn't want to switch the front to a 12 tooth and the rear to a 53 tooth sprocket? What is the downside?

I have run 12 fronts with no issues. The 53 rear is huge and might run into chain guide issues.

I have run 12 fronts with no issues. The 53 rear is huge and might run into chain guide issues.

Two friends with TXC250's run 12/50 and are very happy. I'd put the 12 CS on and ride it to see if you like it. If you want more, then try more teeth on the rear.

i would do the 12t.your chain will not need replacement.its a simple swap with little down side.dan

I've got a te310 & 12/50 would be worth a try, I've ended up going back to 13/52 personally as I found 12/50 to slow.

And first gear becomes worthless.

I run:

KTM250xcfw - 13/52

Yamaha WR250F - 13/50

Excellent gearing for trail riding, tight as well as open.

kelly speaks the truth. you'll run into the guide with anything over 52, if you could even find one for your bike. dropping it to 12 at the cs will make a big difference, and it's cheap. try that first

I wouldn't run 12 53 the range between shifts would be very tight. I run 12 50 and would like to go to 13 51/ 52 to lengthen that range just a bit. The 12 50 works pretty well though IMO.

Damn, that's low. Mine (310, older model but same external gearing) would be better off with higher gearing rather than lower, and I ride technical terrain. I think you can grab a 12 tooth relatively inexpensively....try it.

Im running 13 / 50 Stock gearing on my 2012 te310. The bike comes with a second chain and a 60t sproket as part of the power up kit, I didn't like it so i switched back to stock gearing. Im hope the un corked up bike will pull it fine.

Im riding in the morning and will find out then.

The most extreme combination they make for my bike is a 12 in the front and 53 in the back. A 60 rear is huge, I don't think I would be happy with that either.

Well my gearing was a bit steep today. It climbed well in 1st gear but i think 5t more should be good. I will try that next. I just hate giving up hwy speed.

Im running 13 / 50 Stock gearing on my 2012 te310. The bike comes with a second chain and a 60t sproket as part of the power up kit, I didn't like it so i switched back to stock gearing. Im hope the un corked up bike will pull it fine.

Im riding in the morning and will find out then.

Might I ask which dealer you purchased the bike from?

My 12 310 came with no ex sprocket or chain..purchased last week

My dealer said that the first batch of 2012 TE 310's came with the extra sprocket and chain but no more. For the desert and open trails and forest roads the stock gearing should be OK and yield good mileage and top end.

I have a 2011 Husky TE 250. It came with a 13 tooth front and 50 tooth rear sprocket. I am only interested in low end performance and don't care about going over 55-60. Besides the wear on parts I am hearing about, is there any reason I wouldn't want to switch the front to a 12 tooth and the rear to a 53 tooth sprocket? What is the downside?

I must say I've never ridden the '11 250---I have the '11 310. Stock gearing is also 13/50. I ride in the northern Mid-West on single-track. Early on, I was trying to lug the bike too much out of corners instead of letting it stay high in the revs (previous trail bike was a CRF450). I went round and round with gearing. I tried 13/52 hoping it would make 3rd my main gear but it made 1st completely useless and although it made 2nd gear somewhere between the stock 1st and 2nd, the motor revved out way too fast in 2nd gear (the 310 revs pretty quickly anyway) and I still couldn't lug 3rd like I way hoping so I was shifting MORE than with 13/50. Tried 13/48 with similar issues, i.e., more shifting, plus stock 13/50 made it easier to loft the front wheel in whooped out sections. SO, I ended up back to 13/50, stopped short shifting, and just let the rpms stay high like the bike wants to be ridden.

HOWEVER, having said all that, your being in CA might make my experience pointless. What gear(s) are you usually trying to ride in?

Thanks for your response. After weeks of researching with Husky, Cafe Husky, this site, Team Husky, trying the JD Jetting Power Surge etc., the dealer fixed my problem for one hour of labor. The explanation was complicated and made sense (had to do with Husky setting the bikes and shipping them to different altitude locations, and EPA standards), but the answer is simple, the CO2 level as delivered new was way off. It was running at 7.4% (rich), they adjusted it to 3.5% (leaned it out). HUGE difference in performance off the line.

I did install the 12 tooth front spocket and am happy with it. The difference is not significant, but since I most ride technical trails in first-third gear,it does help; I just have to ship more. Also, top end is down to about 65 mph.

Thanks again.

I must say I've never ridden the '11 250---I have the '11 310. Stock gearing is also 13/50. I ride in the northern Mid-West on single-track. Early on, I was trying to lug the bike too much out of corners instead of letting it stay high in the revs (previous trail bike was a CRF450). I went round and round with gearing. I tried 13/52 hoping it would make 3rd my main gear but it made 1st completely useless and although it made 2nd gear somewhere between the stock 1st and 2nd, the motor revved out way too fast in 2nd gear (the 310 revs pretty quickly anyway) and I still couldn't lug 3rd like I way hoping so I was shifting MORE than with 13/50. Tried 13/48 with similar issues, i.e., more shifting, plus stock 13/50 made it easier to loft the front wheel in whooped out sections. SO, I ended up back to 13/50, stopped short shifting, and just let the rpms stay high like the bike wants to be ridden.

HOWEVER, having said all that, your being in CA might make my experience pointless. What gear(s) are you usually trying to ride in?

I would like to here more about a useless 1st gear ! I want a first gear that will idle at a walking pase...... I'm really wanting a husky 510 and have allready found the goods needed for hardcore goat trails . My only question with the bike now is the engines rotating mass more comparable to a offroad bike or MX...... I can't find flywheel weights for them.... I like the design of the new husky and when riders complain about 1st being too low it draws be closer to it !:smirk: thanks

It was "unusable" for me in a race context (harescramble in the northern Mid West) because of how quickly the bike revs out. As the season went on and the courses included longer, steeper, and more technical climbs, I did use 1st now and again in an emergency but that was with 13/50. A 52 wouldn't have worked as well for me because the rear would have broken loss more easily. If I were racing that bike next year, I'd run a 13/48 at half the races.

However, for general trail riding where I can find tight single track with super tight 180s or super tight sections where the bars barely fit and the trail weaves back and forth, the 13/50 still allows me to stop, balance, and manuever at trials bike pace.

Not sure about the rotating mass on a 510 but it shouldn't be too different than a CRF450 plus the engine can obviously lug more than the 310 I used.

I see in your signature that you must have owned a CRF450 at one time. I did my first harescamble on an 07 450. What a CHORE. Honestly, I hated the 310 at first having come off of the CRF but once I let go and let it revs I liked it more (until I had to spent $140 each on intake valves and a grand total of $550+ getting it going again). Back to a two stroke for racing for me.