Sign in to follow this  

1991 Kx250 powervalve installation

I bought a kx250 and i'm in the process of rebuilding it. I had the cylinder recoated and when I receive the cylinder it was entirely disassembled. Now I'm reconstructing it and I have a question about the powervalves. I have never worked with powervalves before so bear with me. The linkage arm that connects to the powervalve arm has no tension on it, is that normal? And when installing the powervalves which way to they need to be facing?

the power valve link arm has lines machined into it. those are timing marks. the valves themselves have either a dot or a step on the gear teeth. put the power valves in half way than put the rod in. line the dot or step of the valve tooth up with the corrisponding line on the rod. when the rod is pushed all the way in, the powervalves will be in the closed position and the marks will line up. hope that helps.

By Eric Gorr:

1988–92 KX250 and 1990-2000 KX500 KIPS Timing Procedure

The explanation of this procedure, written in the Kawasaki service manual, is confusing. It requires you to time the upper and lower racks at the same instant. My method of timing the exhaust valves is composed of simple steps that enable you to check your work as you go. The 1988–92 KX250 and KX500 use the drive-channel system to actuate the center valve. Here is the best way to time the KIPS on these models.

1. Set the cylinder upside down on a bench.

2. Install the center valve but don’t bolt it in!

3. Install the side drum valves and align the drive channels on the drum valves with the center valve, but don’t bolt it in!

4. Install the side drums valves and align the drive channels on the drum valves with the engagement pins on the center valve.

5. Lift up the drum valves so the bottoms of the gears are flush with the cylinder base. Take care not to disengage the center valve.

6. Slide in the rack from either side of the cylinder. Position the rack by installing the seal pack and pulling the rack out until it bottoms against the seal pack. This is the full-open position.

7. Drop the drum valves onto the rack so the valves are in the full-open position. Don’t pay attention to alignment dots or marks on the valve or rack just remember that the valves should be open when the rack is pulled out and closed when the rack is pushed in.

• Like 1