Sign in to follow this  

KX100 vs 85.

My Kid has outgrown his 85 but he's still too small to fit a 125. I figured I'd look at a 100 thinking it would be right inbetween size wise but the specs show they are around the same seat height.

Is a 100 basically an 85 with a bigger motor or are the specs I saw wrong?

Thanks.

100 is 2 1/2" taller at the curve in the seat. It has 16" rear & 19" front wheels (longer swingarm as well)

There are a few threads on here that had swapped to the 100 wheels & swingarm but maintained the 85 motor. You just have to watch if he races MX, It's considered a bigwheel and will be pushed into the Supermini class.

Unless he/she is ready more the extra power of the 100, get the 100.

But like 99% of kids, they outgrow them in a year or less.

The KX100's frame is slightly different thena the KX85. The swingarm is also longer. If you add a set of bar risers and/or a taller seat you can make the KX100 a little closer to the size of a KX125.

The KX100's frame is slightly different thena the KX85. The swingarm is also longer. If you add a set of bar risers and/or a taller seat you can make the KX100 a little closer to the size of a KX125.

Is the frame a bit longer? He seems a bit cramped on the 85 as far as the bars and foot pegs being too close. If I went to an 85 big wheel he would still have the same problem there.

yes. The frame is approx.1/2 longer at the head.Its not all that much.

Its subtle but it is bigger.

Tall seat. Tall bars.Im sure someone makes a top triple to move the bars forward.

would you rather him on a 100 or 125?

I think racing is a key here. As Sappers said you'll be pushed into the supermini class and if you race you know how tough of a class that is. Lots of superfast guys with LL aspirations. If he's a high level 85 racer put him on a supermini (but hard to compete if it's stock). If he just wants to race and have some fun put him on a 125.

I think racing is a key here. As Sappers said you'll be pushed into the supermini class and if you race you know how tough of a class that is. Lots of superfast guys with LL aspirations. If he's a high level 85 racer put him on a supermini (but hard to compete if it's stock). If he just wants to race and have some fun put him on a 125.

He's just riding for fun. He wants to race in the future but for now i'd rather have him riding a bike that fits him instead of him hunched up on a smaller one.

The difference of size of 100 to 125 is a tough decision. My son was way too tall forhis 100 but barely tiptoed the 125. But he was a good enough rider to deal with the extra height. The, within 3 months he was easily footed on both feet. 5 months later, he was flatflooting the 125 & 250. They grow too fast.

If you foresee him getting some height in the near future, get him the 125, he'll grow into it quick.

my kid on his 125

2011-11-20112039.jpg

his 100

mx2011004.jpg

and... his 85

mx2011003.jpg

he's kinda cramped on the 85, a good fit on the 100 & is about 4" short on the 125. How old is he? you can lower the 125 so he fits better???