Sign in to follow this  

Help! Transmission/crank problem.

My 97 rm250 was making a horrible screeching noise. I took it apart completely. I found a few bearings that were screwed as well as two problems.

IMG_20111121_143541.jpg

IMG_20111121_143432.jpg

It appears that this end of the mainshaft is rubbing the inside of the case. Is this a major problem, and how do I fix it?

IMG_20111121_143445.jpg

In this picture, note the gouges on the bottom of the crankcase. I could not identify any parts on the crank that were rubbing. I believe the rusty grime is from the internal water pump bearing going out? Is it possible to get into the case this way?

IMG_20111121_145909.jpg

What would cause these gouges on the cylinder head?

fyi... I'm looking for the cheapest fixes available because the bike was for sale til I took it out. Also, it ran fine, plenty of power, just the noise all of a sudden. There was also a small crack on the piston.

Looks like new bearings all around is in order. I agree that your main bearing is probably toast. That would account for the crank wear and the gouged head. If it were mine I'd either sell it as is and take the money hit or I'd rebuild the whole bottom end and keep it.

The rust was probably from the main bearings because the water pump would leak into thew tranny. That's also probably where the noise was coming from. If you rebuild, make sure to replace the piston too. You mentioned it had a crack. So as Evmo said, part it out and loose, or rebuild and ride a while. Of course with the receipts from the rebuild, you would have good ground to stand on for a firm price.