Sign in to follow this  

2001 GasGas 80 trials bike

2001 GasGas 80 trials bike with large wheels.The bike is first for me at 190lbs, then for my son at 80lbs. I will use this bike in the off season for ballance, technical skill and staying sharp (sharp like a butter knife). Both are experience riders but not with trials.

Is this a good bike for a beginner adult? Beginner kid?

Any durablity issues with this model? What is this worth in good condition?

Edited by weantright

2001 GasGas 80 trials bike with large wheels.

Is this a good bike for a beginner adult? Beginner kid?

Any durablity issues with this model? What is this worth in good condition?

Personally, I never was impressed with the "school boy" models like the 80.

Trials bike engines produce far less horsepower but make up for it with low end torque. It's difficult for a very small engine like that to produce the torque that Trials Bikes are famous for.

Im my personal opinion, I would rather suggest one of the newer Pro 125s for a light weight kid or the 200 model in either the Pro versionor the older pre 2002 bikes.

I bought a 2005 GG 200 Pro for the wife but it has the power to move me through the big stuff yet is docile enough that smaller people can start it. If your kid can kick start a 200 Pro, that is what I would get. If not, then the only reason to get a 125 Pro is for starting reasons.

The bigger YOU are, the more difficult it is to keep the smaller Trials Engines alive and the more experienced you need to be to do it and succeed.

Again, just my opinion.

Depends on your size. a small 10-12 y/o kid can handle a 80 easier (Still smaller/shorter than a 125) They also rip pretty good, but as 2-ply mentioned, not much torque - so must use the clutch alot. This is actually a benefit for teaching proper clutch use, but it does require more finesse from the rider. My buddy rides his kids GG80 and does really well on it - he weighs 150lbs. I dont think you would want to go over that.

a 2001 in good shape could fetch upto $1500 if properly maintained. I have seen several "like new" old 80's on craigslist for $2K plus - but they dont sell.

My buddy's bike was a showroom condition, barely ridden 2007 for $2K in 2010 - I thought that was a good deal. His son really rides it well and loves the bike.

They are very durable bikes but the Beta probably has the best reputation for sheer beatability.

Good luck

Maybe it was the zingy noise the 80 made that bugged me... But Laser has far more hands on experience with the 80 than I ever had.

Bottom line... What fits him or you and is it easy to start. If it's NOT easy to start every time, frustration will set in quickly.... ask my wife.. :lol:

The bike is first for me at 190lbs, then for my son at 80lbs. I will use this bike in the off season for ballance, technical skill and staying sharp (sharp like a butter knife). Both are experience riders but not with trials.

While the 80 would be perfect for your son, I would pass if your sharing it. It would be overwhelmed by you. The 125 would be the smallest I would go with then. As 2-ply mentioned, the 200's are great bikes as well.

While the 80 would be perfect for your son, I would pass if your sharing it. It would be overwhelmed by you. The 125 would be the smallest I would go with then. As 2-ply mentioned, the 200's are great bikes as well.

And though the 200 was difficult for my timid and short wife to kick start, I added 3 head spacers to it to make it super easy to kick while she was learning and then took the spacers out later.

I was tempted to buy the 125 for her and then upgrade it with the 220cc top end kit later but that turned out to be over $1,000 for the kit... 3x $40 spacers did the trick and the bike was still surprisingly strong though it wound up gently and was very easy to start.