Sign in to follow this  

kdx/kx hybrid

i had to depart from my 2005 kdx 200 a while back. the suspension was just too soft for its weight. just wondering has anyone ever taken a kdx and put kx suspension on it? a kdx 220 with kx suspension and some aftermarket work would make an amazing bike.

Did you try getting the right springs for your weight? There have been some threads here a couple years ago of people putting a KDX motor in a KX250F chassis.

Yes, there have been many KDX/KX hybrids built. You can just add KX forks to the KDX chassis which cures all but the weight or take a KDX engine and put it in, the preferred choice, a KX125 chassis. There are several members on TT with hybrids and you can find many more over at KDXrider.net.

Haven't seen a completed kdx to KXF conversion yet, so if there are actually some build threads on that, I'd love to see them.

As SS109 mentioned, there have been many KDX hybrid bikes built. KX125 is the usual choice, but the CR125 has been used as well. Many people just install MX forks on the kdx, because the front forks are really the weakest link. The KDX rear suspension is actually pretty good for aggressive riding, but the front just kills it. There are mods that can be done to the stock front suspension to vastly improve it, but sometimes swapping forks is just more economical.

Girl riding buddy of mine has a lowered KDX/KX hybrid, that little bike is sweet. 125 frame and a 220 motor. She goes quite well on it.

I, on the other hand, resprung my shock for my weight and swapped a KX125 front end on my 200. I had a local suspension tuner shorten the fork 1" to level out the bike, and also rework the shim stack for off road usage. I love it. By far the best all around woods ride I've had so far.

yeah, kdxrider.net has some great threads on this topic. the kx 125 with a kdx 220 engine would be a beautiful machine with proper sprocket gearing. i am not a huge fan of the aftermarket pipe. kawi designed one good enough. still crying over parting out that kdx but gotta love an 09 kx250f haha

if anyone has a kx 125 with a kdx engine please post a picture. and maybe some detail on how you did it. thanks guys.

Haven't seen a completed kdx to KXF conversion yet, so if there are actually some build threads on that, I'd love to see them.

I dont have one but...Motoadventure in Loveland Colorado wil do it for You. They do a great job!

http://www.motoadventure.com/service.htm

That's cool, thanks. No way I'd ever pay someone to do something like that for me though. Why use a 450 chassis??? odd.... I guess it would be a bit easier than using a 250f frame. IDK.

yeah, kdxrider.net has some great threads on this topic. the kx 125 with a kdx 220 engine would be a beautiful machine with proper sprocket gearing. i am not a huge fan of the aftermarket pipe. kawi designed one good enough. still crying over parting out that kdx but gotta love an 09 kx250f haha

if anyone has a kx 125 with a kdx engine please post a picture. and maybe some detail on how you did it. thanks guys.

If you registered at kdxrider, there are loads of build threads, pictures, and info. You might get a bit more here if you post in the kawi 2t section.

hehehehehee been doing the research and im pretty sure my 220 motors goin in a kx125 chassis at some point this winter...come onnnn taxes hahaha