Sign in to follow this  

2012 Husqvarna TE511 vs 2012 Beta 520 RS

Really unfair to the Husky to not have equal tires. Very bogus. I am 80/20 in favor of getting a Beta over the Husky but with this flawed testing procedure I have no true comparison info to help in making the decision. Very obvious the Husky could not be ridden properly. Now if I could only find one of either to actually feel and ogle without taking a vacation.

Really unfair to the Husky to not have equal tires. Very bogus. I am 80/20 in favor of getting a Beta over the Husky but with this flawed testing procedure I have no true comparison info to help in making the decision. Very obvious the Husky could not be ridden properly. Now if I could only find one of either to actually feel and ogle without taking a vacation.

I think they were both tested with stock rubber.

Good review of stock bikes. Tires can be changed so knowing this was the low spot of the TE’s review, change is easy. RS had hard hot starting killing the battery. Can this be corrected with a jetting kit?? Another easy fix most likely. Not sure what the TE goes for but I expect $$ left over for tires compared to the Beta. I am 55/45 in favor of a Husky vs. Beta in the 300cc class. Hope they do a comparison on the smaller RS/TE models!

Regarding the Husky vs Beta comparo. For me, the Beta wins hands down if only due to the 15 lbs lighter curb weight and wide ratio 6 speed tranny.

After watching and listening to the reviews I thought that they were really shallow and not a lot of in-depth information on either bike. I like the European motorcycles reviews a little more, they tend to be more in-depth with reviews. I will say this I was looking at the Beta 450RR before I bought my 2011 Husqvarna TE449. But the issues I had with the beta as follows:

- Very small US dealer network

- No MX or offroad racing models

- They still using carburetors when all the other European/Italian Dual Sports/Enduro bikes in its class are using EFI (i.e. Husqvarna, Aprilia, and TM all have EFI)

- Husqvarna is light years ahead of Beta in technology (i.e. CTS, Suspension linkage, hydraulic clutch, forward leaning cylinder, rear fuel tank, front air box, and etc.,)

- Price (Beta RS is more expensive then the Husqvarna TE)

- Not a lot of 3rd party US aftermarket parts & accessories for it. (Except for BYOB)

- The 450RR is not street legal, the RS450 is with a price tag of $9,299. More than the Husqvarna TE 449 at $8,699.

- Has a lot of KTM design similarities. (Up until 2010 Beta used KTM engines)

Betas are good bikes, but I just find that they are a little behind in technology and more expensive for what your are getting in a offroad bike compare to the other Italian/European offroad bikes.

Edited by DesertHusky

I am 55/45 in favor of a Husky vs. Beta in the 300cc class. Hope they do a comparison on the smaller RS/TE models!

The Beta 350RS costs $1100 more, weighs a little more, is almost 1" shorter in seat height, has almost 1" more ground clearance. A good bike, but where it's better isn't the important stuff.

The TE310 costs less, weighs less, is a tad taller, has less ground clearance, won a couple Bike of the Year awards, won the World Enduro Championship in its class, took a podium at the EnduroCross final last week (with a rider out most of the season)...

Being short, that 1" shorter seat is enticing. But that $1100 isn't. The weight IMO is a non-issue, but some people are complete wusses over a few lbs.

Oh, the beta looks like just another bike, but the Husky is sexy and will get you laid. :lol:

I agree on some things and others I think info is off or I don't get . Husky is a beautiful bike for sure. I do like the styling. ..and they do have a decent rep. ..but around here there are more Betas than Husky. There are a few things I see off about the Beta right off though. The US dealer network?..not many Betas are even brought into the country.. Why is this important?...unless you don't have a dealer close to you? americanbeta and my dealer have given me the best service yet. They send my stuff johnny on the spot and give excellent service.. There is no mx but there are offroad racing models. I think the offroad models would probably be great mx'rs if you wanted to do that. Carburetors? ..that's one of the reasons I like Beta's. .rather have that for offroad.

beta's have suspension linkage, The suspensin is excellent

Beta has a hydraulic clutch,

The cylinder, fuel tank and air box aren't a big draw for me..don't see it as that being better than the Beta.

Price is always a positive in the Husky column if those are the correct prices .

As far as aftermarket...what else do you need? It's covered from what I can see.

I don't get the 450rr not being street legal being relevant.

KTM design similarities? What does that mean? 09 and before Beta ran rfs ktm motors. 10' and on it's all Beta design. I don't get that one..

Beta behind in design? I think it works awesome . I don't see where there's anything behind. You can think that way about a carb...but I like a carb. The motors work awesome. I'll wait till FI has been run a little while and the bugs are out. The bike handles awesome. The bike has awesome brakes. It's comfortable. The seat height is lower. It's a great trail bike. The husky from what I know is a great trail bike too from what I've heard . I like the design...nice lines. ..just wanted to air out some of the stuff that didnt sound right to me. I'm sure both bikes are good. I just am familiar with Beta's right now . I love my 09 and the 10's and above are better...I know Beta's work well for the kinds of trails around here. It would be cool if husky had a presence around here but they are much more rare than Betas.

Beta's aren't cheap...but neither are ktms, TM, Sherco,husabergs and husky.. Husky does seem to have relatively lower prices. There also seem to be many more left over huskys that didn't sell from the years before. ..just a different marketing strategy than Beta.. just bring in just about how many Betas that will be sold and maybe a few more...supposedly resale of Beta's should be better.. I think that will depend since not enough people know what a Beta is although the reputation is building fast for enduro bikes just coming in since what...07?

After watching and listening to the reviews I thought that they were really shallow and not a lot of in-depth information on either bike. I like the European motorcycles reviews a little more, they tend to be more in-depth with reviews. I will say this I was looking at the Beta 450RR before I bought my 2011 Husqvarna TE449. But the issues I had with the beta as follows:

- Very small US dealer network

- No MX or offroad racing models

- They still using carburetors when all the other European/Italian Dual Sports/Enduro bikes in its class are using EFI (i.e. Husqvarna, Aprilia, and TM all have EFI)

- Husqvarna is light years ahead of Beta in technology (i.e. CTS, Suspension linkage, hydraulic clutch, forward leaning cylinder, rear fuel tank, front air box, and etc.,)

- Price (Beta RS is more expensive then the Husqvarna TE)

- Not a lot of 3rd party US aftermarket parts & accessories for it. (Except for BYOB)

- The 450RR is not street legal, the RS450 is with a price tag of $9,299. More than the Husqvarna TE 449 at $8,699.

- Has a lot of KTM design similarities. (Up until 2010 Beta used KTM engines)

Betas are good bikes, but I just find that they are a little behind in technology and more expensive for what your are getting in a offroad bike compare to the other Italian/European offroad bikes.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

So... it's somewhat of a tie....

2012 Husqvarna TE511 vs 2012 Beta 520 RS

Here's a link to the comparison: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/11/11573/Motorcycle-Article/2012-Husqvarna-TE511-vs-2012-Beta-520-RS.aspx

511 test: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/1298/Motorcycle-Video/2012-Husqvarna-TE511-Comparison-Video.aspx

520 test: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/1299/Motorcycle-Video/2012-Beta-520-RS-Comparison-Video.aspx

Enjoy[/QUO

Somewhat of a tie? Once the guy said the Beta felt like a mx dirt bike made street legal that pretty much seemed like it. I don't care about road riding element of the comparison. I kind of find it odd that the tires will make the husky as bad as they say. I thought the street legal pirellis as pretty suck tires that came on my Beta. M21's? If the Husky tires are that much worse man that is bad cause I hated my stock tires that came on my Beta RS.

Somewhat of a tie? Once the guy said the Beta felt like a mx dirt bike made street legal that pretty much seemed like it. I don't care about road riding element of the comparison. I kind of find it odd that the tires will make the husky as bad as they say. I thought the street legal pirellis as pretty suck tires that came on my Beta. M21's? If the Husky tires are that much worse man that is bad cause I hated my stock tires that came on my Beta RS.

This crew at Motorcycle-USA is one of the lazyest out there ... (YES IT WAS THE TIRES) and they could have been changed... Hell (Husqvana should have changed them before the bike was delivered) but that wasn't the case.

If you watch the video, it's clear they like both the bikes and their comments were directly related to bad dual sport tires.

Still it's was a tie even though the Beta had ringer tires.

There I said it.

Edited by HuskyRips

This crew at Motorcycle-USA is one of the lazyest out there ... (YES IT WAS THE TIRES) and they could have been changed... Hell (Husqvana should have changed them before the bike was delivered) but that wasn't the case.

If you watch the video, it's clear they like both the bikes and their comments were directly related to bad dual sport tires.

There I said it.

Those pirelli's suck on the Beta..especially the back... The husky tires must be a nightmare. I don't doubt both bikes are good bikes....gotta do more personal research if it got to picking between the 2...

The husky tire must suck pretty bad . Even watching the comparison of riding of the 2 bikes you could see the husky rider didn't look very comfortable. The soft suspension makes a difference too though...after sorting that out the comparison should also be more accurate. These are supposed to be dualsports but I don't take it that way. I kind of look at just the dirt side and don't care about the road manners. I guess I could say the Beta's tires are good for the road. ..offroad around here I was getting stuck lots of places . When I changed the tires on my Beta it was like night and day better.

There I said it.

Those pirelli's suck on the Beta..especially the back... The husky tires must be a nightmare. I don't doubt both bikes are good bikes....gotta do more personal research if it got to picking between the 2...

The husky tire must suck pretty bad . Even watching the comparison of riding of the 2 bikes you could see the husky rider didn't look very comfortable. The soft suspension makes a difference too though...after sorting that out the comparison should also be more accurate. These are supposed to be dualsports but I don't take it that way. I kind of look at just the dirt side and don't care about the road manners. I guess I could say the Beta's tires are good for the road. ..offroad around here I was getting stuck lots of places . When I changed the tires on my Beta it was like night and day better.

Honestly, I don't put any weight behind the "Motorcycle-USA" reviews UNLESS they are being conducted by Chilly White. He is the only guy over there who truly understands the potential a bike has once in the owners hands and the "basic" mods that most will make IMHO.

What I mean is this, how many of us buy a bike (any make) and leave it 100% bone stock? Not many. Now, how many of us are going to swap tires, adjust the chasis and change out the front springs and/or rear spring to suit our riding style and weight?.... It's usually the first thing I do after determining what needs to be done after the initial ride....right?

Point is, it's not a 100% true and accurate review of either of the bikes IMO. Maybe they were not allowed to make these mods or maybe they will do a long term duration test? I do know you can't expect "dual sport" tires to handle great especially in the desert, you can't expect the Husky suspension to be dead on for a 230lb+ test rider (just guessing) either. Both bikes have way more going for them than these yahoo's mentioned...... Extremely poor review IMO that holds no merrit toward either bike.....

Honestly, I don't put any weight behind the "Motorcycle-USA" reviews UNLESS they are being conducted by Chilly White. He is the only guy over there who truly understands the potential a bike has once in the owners hands and the "basic" mods that most will make IMHO.

What I mean is this, how many of us buy a bike (any make) and leave it 100% bone stock? Not many. Now, how many of us are going to swap tires, adjust the chasis and change out the front springs and/or rear spring to suit our riding style and weight?.... It's usually the first thing I do after determining what needs to be done after the initial ride....right?

Point is, it's not a 100% true and accurate review of either of the bikes IMO. Maybe they were not allowed to make these mods or maybe they will do a long term duration test? I do know you can't expect "dual sport" tires to handle great especially in the desert, you can't expect the Husky suspension to be dead on for a 230lb+ test rider (just guessing) either. Both bikes have way more going for them than these yahoo's mentioned...... Extremely poor review IMO that holds no merrit toward either bike.....

I hear what your saying and I agree. I don't believe any one view etc. I usually go more on a variety of sources and try to ride the bike if possible. Like I said before both of these bikes are probably great ...I'm just going on what information that's been given in the links you put up.

I hear what your saying and I agree. I don't believe any one view etc. I usually go more on a variety of sources and try to ride the bike if possible. Like I said before both of these bikes are probably great ...I'm just going on what information that's been given in the links you put up.

They're both very good bikes.

The review was done right bikes taken right from the showroom. As a potential buyer now I know what will need to be changed when I do make the purchase.

Husky needs to stop shipping bikes with Krappoos on them. There are several MUCH better DOT tires available. D606, MT21 for starters...

The review was done right bikes taken right from the showroom. As a potential buyer now I know what will need to be changed when I do make the purchase.

Sorta have to disagree. If the tires are so bad that the power cannot be used and the suspension loaded with force you really cannot evaluate the bike. If the tires hook up properly it makes the bike behave much differently than when the tires are spinning wildly and sliding around. If the front tire does not grip and washes unpredictably the rider cannot really tell the handling characteristics in comparison to another bike that has excellent tires and steers properly. I think bad tires/good tires can change perception of a bike greatly. I still feel both bikes should have equal tires to take that out of the equation.