Sign in to follow this  

sx 125 trail mods?

buying an 05 sx 125 for trail riding, wondering what i can do to make it more trail friendly? also any problems/ performance mods would be helpful, thanks in advance :lol:

Pipe guard, bark busters, skid plate, 2k3 or trailtech stator & flywheel. On the cheap look for a 2k2 flywheel it will work on you 2k1 stator.

Joe.......

To the OP, on the cheap, I have FWW that will make it equal in weight to the 2k2. then, you will have the ability to swap it out if you want the snap for moto or something.

9oz, SFB FWW. PM me if interested

To the OP, on the cheap, I have FWW that will make it equal in weight to the 2k2. then, you will have the ability to swap it out if you want the snap for moto or something.

9oz, SFB FWW. PM me if interested

That would make that 125 a lot friendlier in the woods;)

Joe.......

A flywheel weight? Sounds like a good way to ruin a great bike, I think even a k2 flywheel is over kill on a 125. IMO if your not prepaired to ride the bike aggressive and get in on the pipe you should be on something you can short shift, like a 200 or 250.

Back when I had my 06' 125SX all I did was suspension, guards and a XC tank. It was a great bike, one of the few I miss.

A flywheel weight? Sounds like a good way to ruin a great bike, I think even a k2 flywheel is over kill on a 125. IMO if your not prepaired to ride the bike aggressive and get in on the pipe you should be on something you can short shift, like a 200 or 250.

Back when I had my 06' 125SX all I did was suspension, guards and a XC tank. It was a great bike, one of the few I miss.

A good way to improve a great bike for a woods environment. :) I hate pop stalling which is common on a stock MX bike in the woods, trying to navigate thru slick rocks and roots. I don't always want all the power at once and I end up overworking the clutch without a FWW. I am actually going heavier on mine. The environment we ride here, not many can ride on the pipe all the time. My 200 still has the lightest FW, and it is just too light for navigating the technical terrain we ride. For the faster, non technical stuff, it's not an issue.

The FWW won't keep you from riding aggressive or on the pipe. Once the weight is overcome by the engine revs, it acts just the same.

Have you ridden a 125 with a FWW on it? Nothing wrong with running one without it, and :lol: for making one work that way.

Remember, not everyone is proficient with a clutch or a fast rider.

I really don't understand the negative connotations surrounding FWW's. They are great adds for woods riding.

Edited by gmoss

im a fairly agressive rider, il see how i go without the FWW and look into it abit more later, but thatnks for all the advice :lol:

IDK Tommy, I love the 2k1 in an open place like Eddieville or Starvation Ridge but in the tight technical stuff like Swamp Creek the 2k2 or Trailtech helps a lot without taking much away. The 2k3 or the +4 Trailtech is a bit much IMHO.

Joe........

IDK Tommy, I love the 2k1 in an open place like Eddieville or Starvation Ridge but in the tight technical stuff like Swamp Creek the 2k2 or Trailtech helps a lot without taking much away. The 2k3 or the +4 Trailtech is a bit much IMHO.

Joe........

VF3 reeds really helped the throttle response on my 200 exc.. wonder how they will work on the 125

Go with gmoss on the fww. Im not much on guards unless your riding/racing in rocky stuff (I only install my sp then). no kickstand here but they can come in handy for trail riding/work and a larger tank for racing is nice. IMO suspension is the place to put your time and money.