Sign in to follow this  

450 for trail?

hey i was considering getting a 450 for trails, i am a fast rider but do ride a lot of technical trails.. i just wanted to know how they are in tight woods, would be a crf450r or possibily a kx450f.. i heard that they can stall out easily, overheat and are heavy.. is this true? what do you guys say about the 450 in trails?

I had an 07 KX 450f. It was great in the open stuff and worked OK in the tighter singletrack. The group I ride with has ben transitioning to more and more technical single track. The 450 could be ridden there but it was quite a handful and required exceptional clutch and throttle control. An autoclutch and flywheel weight would have helped. I switched to a KTM 300 and find it much easier to ride in technical terrain. If you do a lot of faster open terrain the 450’s are great. As the terrain gets tough they tend to be quite brutal and can be punishing.

CoKTM

alright, thanks.. little off the topic now, but would you guys say that a 250f or 250 2 stroke would be better for the woods? with a few trail mods on either?

My choice would be a 2 stroke, but I have a buddy with an 09 yz250f (290 big bore, FMF pipe, ported, etc) and that bike works great in the tight stuff. He can really throw it around and carry speed in the tight stuff. It depends how far you want to go with mods. A 2 stroke will require less work but a 4 stroke can be built to work great.

CoKTM

well my crf250r has a skid plate, spark arrestors, handgaurds, and a jd jet kit.. and i am going to be buying a skid plate, handgaurds, spark arrestor, oversized tank, fww for my cr..

I rode my buddies rmz450, and a friends yz426f and lets just say I'd take my yz250 any day. They can't get down real low without stalling and are just a pain in the ass to kick over when hot. The 250 2t's also have more room in the motor area to do work if needed and are easier to pick up or pull out of odd situations because of less weight.

no 450 is gonna be faster in tight woods than a 250f and no 250f is gonna be faster in tight woods than a 2 stoke 125-250

I love my 450 in singletrack, but I love my 125 there too. Neither one is a proper woods bike but with the right mods they both work very well.