Sign in to follow this  

Hey all, im back in the saddle!

Hey all, new here! Just got a bike on Sunday, first time havin a bike in about 6-7 years. Been wanting to get back into riding. Didn't wanna break the bank on a bike, so I was lookin for good year end deals. Found a 01 WR250F for $800, in pretty dang good shape, couldnt pass it up. Has pro-tapers, scotts steering damper, cycra pro bend hand guards and a big gun exhaust system.

The negative, it sat for a loooong time. The story went, his buddy had it since new, rode it for a while, then crashed it mildly hard, and messed up the radiator. He had that fixed but never put the bike back together. Then 2yrs ago he wanted it out of his basement, so the guy I got it from took it, was gonna put it back together, but never did. SO, it sat for quite a long time. Supposedly, the float bowl seal leaks, now I am just going to have time tomorrow night to tear it down some, and see, but myself and (brother in law who is a long time member here) feel it may actually be overflow from float sticking, but we'll see. I bought the seal to be safe, plus if it falls apart once we take carb apart.

Anyhow, we plan to dip carb/components, change oil/filer, coolant, new plug etc. Just wondering any not so obvious MUST do's before I should ride it. I want to ride it one trip (Fri/sat) this week up north IF we get it fired up, and dirty carb was all it was. I'll have all winter to do the mods i've seen here, as well as cam chain (whether it needs it now or not), so I am not worried about those just yet. Probably should just throw a leg over for now til i get back into the swing of things anyhow, lol! But anything you all think would be a definite thing to do before trusting it for bout 5-6hrs of moderate trail riding?

Probably be the last chance to ride it any kinda distance before snow starts flyin and its 30 or less out, lol.

Thanks in advance, excited to be back in the game.

will do, yea i noticed the front was a lil low, not flat though. One other thing to add to the checklist, haha. Half the reason i wanna work on for a few hours tomorrow (even though not entirely convenient) is if i need somethin, i only have wednesday to do so, haha. I kinda thought a lil seepage was normal after that long but could that be a sign of a tube needing replacement as well?

yea new fluid would probably high up there, and it might be' but sometimes that seepage is due to the rubber molecules being larger than air or whatever and air can squeeze out condensating in the tire itself causing that black liquid to form... idk i'd fill it write the pressure down and then check it in an hour or two. not to posotive about brake pads though, if you're concerned cross hatch them with some sandpaper and clean them off with brake cleaner!

Replace the pilot jet in the carb better yet do ALL of the free mods then re-jet it. Highly recommend the JD jetting kit after the free mods. Look into getting an exhaust cam from an 03+ WR or YZ so you can have auto decompression. Congrats on the new baby and welcome to the site. Before you know it the bug will bite and you'll be addicted just like the rest of us here!!

http://www.thumperfaq.com/free_mods.htm

haha, yea my bro in law, as i said a member here, has already been throwin all the mods at me!!!! He said I may as well just do both the cams if im at that point? But yea the auto-decompress does sound nice. All stuff ill do this winter tho, i simply dont have time if i wanna try to ride fri n sat. Any other year id prolly not ride (huntin season), but, i really wanna least once before i tear it down and we have a 3hr legal window per ORV rules, so...gonna, haha.

kick it over and go from there. obviously you need to start with fresh gas, if it's leaking fuel,, then tap the carb a bit with the handle of your screwdriver, tap it enough and it'll un-stick the float. if it won't fire then check for spark. if you have spark then drop the bowl off the carb and start checking jets for blockages.

i bet you'll get it started if you do this. if not let us know.

of course you need to change the oil.

brake, trans, etc. need to be changed also but if you're just wanting to get one ride in i wouldn't worry about these just yet. do all that over the loooooooooooooong michigan winter.

Emergency..... replace the air and oil filters. Expecially the air filter. They have a nasty habbit of drying out. Then when you crank the motor, they discentegrate and get sucked into the motor and ruin the valves and cylinder. Ask how I know this........ .

Oil filter not so much, but needs to be replaced too.

Sounds like you found the perfect project bike. Good luck.

Hey all, thanks for input...

Update: Did try to remove air cleaner, and it did crumble, so i bought new one, also did oil filter, fixed leaking carb. Just went up north for a couple short trail rides, they allow ORV a 3hr window this time of year in the middle of the day so we rode in that time. Bike ran awesome though, for what i paid i am very excited. Wasn't nearly as tough as i imagined gettin back into riding.

Anyhow, today I was having an issue of it not starting very well. Ran fine once started. Not sure if I fouled it the first try, by the way DEF getting the 03+ exhaust cam, lol. But once i stopped on the trail for a few mins, took forever to get started again. Gonna go through a lot of the bike now that winters on the way, any ideas where to start for the above mentioned issues?