Sign in to follow this  

Getting back into the sport. Help me pick a bike

Back in 2007 I had a 2005 YZ 250. I used to ride mostly in sand pits and trails with the occasional trip to the track. I loved the YZ and it worked great for what I used it for.

I want another 2 stroke bike and I was thinking YZ or KTM but i'm open to all suggestions. I'm 5'11 and 200lbs if that helps at all.

Thanks guys! I cant wait to get back on a bike this spring. :lol:

money isn't a problem here. I would want a 2005 or newer bike that is reliable and doesn't have any common motor related failures.

If money isnt a problem i'd say 2012 ktm 250sx they look like mean machines, unless its for trails then id say get the xc model. If you want a yamaha get an older one 06+ theyre practically the same bike.

ktms are great bikes but!!! pistons are expensive and they dont handle mx tracks like a jap b ike. i owned a 300 ktm for 5 years and loved it, but it didnt turn good so i shortened the wheelbase and redid suspension and pistons were 250 dollars but never needed one. after 3 years i figured i would replace piston so i did and cost about 300 dollars and i was a ktm dealer LOL but the piston was a mahle and of the highest quality. after 3 yrs use it had worn less than a thousandth. and also I sold the used psiton for 85 dollars. ktms are very high quality but the insist on using white power since they own it and thats their short coming when it comes to handling a motocross track. this is all my own opinion and I am not a very good rider. that being said a good bike that handles makes a moajor difference for me.

I'm thinking about getting an 09 or newer KTM 250XC

If I cant find a reasonable deal on one I will probably stick with what I know and get a 06 or newer YZ250.

The KTM's are harder to find in my area and seem a bit more expensive. Are there anything to look out for on the KTM's? I heard they have issues with the throttle cable sticking WOT.

I'm thinking about getting an 09 or newer KTM 250XC

If I cant find a reasonable deal on one I will probably stick with what I know and get a 06 or newer YZ250.

The KTM's are harder to find in my area and seem a bit more expensive. Are there anything to look out for on the KTM's? I heard they have issues with the throttle cable sticking WOT.

KTMs are pretty solid. There have been reports if the throttles sticking open due to thecable being to short. The cable hooks on something and pulls itself out of the carb. You can buy longer cables. There were some issues with the electric starters, maintenence is the key. The KTMs will always be more expensive. With electric start, larger fuel tank, hydralic clutch and good quaility components you get what you pay for.

I think the 250 XC would be an excellent choice. I ride with alot of KTM guys and I own a 300 XC...Ive never heard of the throttle sticking from anyone. The KTM 2t bikes are so easy to start, I think the elec starter+battery is just extra weight. Mine will start cold with 1 or 2 kicks...and 1 the rest of the day. The YZs are good bikes, but I would hold out for a KTM.