Sign in to follow this  

2012 500 XC-W FI hose protection needed

My first fall on my new 2012 500 xc-w and I cut the FI hose! This is near the top of Pritchett Canyon in Moab.

Here was the spot.

crop-0-IMG_3349.jpg

Fortunately, it cut as a result of pinching between the FI pump outlet nipple and a rock, so it allowed me to cut off a piece of the hose and then clamp it back on to save the weekend.

crop-0-IMG_3348.jpg

so now I plan to carry this hose as my extra and put a new hose back on. I think I might get some radiator hose and put it over the new hose as crash proctection.

Any other thoughts to make this more robust?

Curious on how you did that with no visible petcock? I know YZ's have a double layer protection (or at least several friends I ride with have it on.)

Curious on how you did that with no visible petcock? I know YZ's have a double layer protection (or at least several friends I ride with have it on.)

The rock sliced the hose against the nipple that come out of the bottom of the FI pump on the tank. When I started it the fuel squirted about 5 feet to my left. I cut the hose at the slice point and used a clamp to re-attach.

I hope that makes more sense.

yeah, since I don't have EFI...I assume there is no petcock, rather the pump stops gas from exiting tank?

that coulda been an expensive fall

how you like the bike so far? when I replace my 450 exc-r it'll probably be a husaberg 570 or a ktm 500

yeah, since I don't have EFI...I assume there is no petcock, rather the pump stops gas from exiting tank?

It leaked some, then stopped, so the pump must stop the flow. Which makes sense given the quick disconnect and how that works.

Thanks for the heads up, I just got my 500 XCW all armoured up and never even thought of this.

On your cam chain tensioner you have a chunk of rubber, that's a great idea, where is that rubber from?

that coulda been an expensive fall

how you like the bike so far? when I replace my 450 exc-r it'll probably be a husaberg 570 or a ktm 500

Love the bike so far. Great suspension and feels very light. The only downside is the crappy gas milage. I have the performance map programmed into the ECU and this gives me about 30mpg during break in riding.

Awesome throttle response and control though.:lol:

Thanks for the heads up, I just got my 500 XCW all armoured up and never even thought of this.

On your cam chain tensioner you have a chunk of rubber, that's a great idea, where is that rubber from?

It was a rubber piece from an old mirror that slid down to cover the mounting nut. It fit perfectly. Others have used some type of hose.

Here is a post of some stuff I've done for protection.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740375

Let me know if you think I am missing something critical.

My primary use of my 500 XCw is to drive a timbersled, so all I need to do is extract as much power as possible out of the bike, without regard to rideability.. Are there ways to map it to get more MX like power delivery, as crazy as that sounds to most dirt riders?

All I've done is di-electric grease all electrical connections, heated grips, 1 aux LED light panel, hand guards, rad guards, skid plate.. Still waiting on the big tank, which I've ordered. I'm hoping I can somehow get the speedo to work with the kit.

www.timbersled.com has more info on the snowbike kit, once I get out riding I can post pics of my setup, right now it's awaiting the kit. and isn't stickered up ect.