Sign in to follow this  

new crf shock in a cr250

hey everyone i have a 2005 cr250 and its an awesome bike in my opinion but i was looking at upgrading the suspension in it and was wonder if a new style crf shock (2010 or 2011) would bolt up in the frame

Well Ive got an 07crf250 shock (along with forks) on my 03 cr250, its def an improvement. Honestly I think that running newer forks would be a better option. Not sure on the newer shocks but on mine I had to run the cr clevis. You will have to measure and go from there.

Edit... You have the newer 05 cr forks and they have the upgraded bolt which means they are probably comparable to the crf stuff. I bet just a revalve and tune would get you where you wanna be.

well honestly i was thinking of doing the shock over the forks becasue i rather like the way the forks work, its the rear end i'm having trouble with, i ride mostly sand tracks and and by the end of the day its like a whoop secton going into every corner with all the braking bumps so i find it just swaps and bucks everywhere so im trying to find a way to fix that and i have the right spring rate also

I have a 2004 CRF450 shock on my CR250. Works out great. I had it revalved and sprung. Couldn't be happier. The shock is about 1/2 inch shorter, but after some adjustments (like the mentioned above) and correct sags, it works.

i have a 450 shock in an 03 250r revalved by fc. It was a replacement for the original.

You will need to know the length and stroke if you go this route. looks like the 05-07 250r is 498/133 so that would match an 05 crf250 498/133. not sure about 10/11 models.

Personally Id want to have the stock unit revalved by a good company rather than mess with getting a shock that needs the clevis replaced and has valving for another model. I took a chance on a cheap auction shock to get reworked. My theory, the compression adjuster anodizing was deep red still, so it looked as if the shock had little time on it. I got lucky, and it was in great shape.

thanks for all the replys everyone i know its sort of taking a shot in the dark putting a different shock that wasn't built for your bike, on your bike. by the sounds of it i might save the guess work and just have either fc or rg3 just do a revalve job