Sign in to follow this  

Opinions on this 02 cr

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/mcy/2714773827.html

a little backstory, Ive been riding a 98 kx 250 for the past 2 years in the beginner/junior classes, and alot of dunes/desert riding. I loved the hard hit but i never rode it too it's potential. It always felt like it had too much low and mid, but not enough top end for high speed dune/desert riding. I hear alot of mixed opinions on the honda's compared to kx's. within that, Ive also read a bunch of debates of the pre 02 engines vs the 02-07 engine. I'm probably not going to be running at the front of the pack and demand perfection, but I was hoping to atleast get some honest opinions and pros/cons of a cr. How's the power delivery? is the suspension pretty decent stock for a 190lb rider, or or is that one of the first things that needs to be taken care of?

This one looks pretty clean, trying to get a hold of him for some more information on maintanence and any minor problems. When i go to look at in person, is there anything specific I should be checking for?

Thanks again guys! -

ron

well that bike is only 30 minutes away from where i live.. i am in olympia and i have an 03 cr250 and i can tell you that they are great bikes... pm me if you have any questions..

Comes with dirt and PADDLE tires, as in wfo in the sand all day... A well sealed air box and it should be ok, any leaks and it may be an issue. If you can stand the mirror shine and shaved seat it looks in the photo to be a decent ride. But to me that set up usually means a young owner, dabbling in fmx that values bling over susbstance who often don't have the coin, or maintenance know how. It could still be a great bike, worth a look.

Comes with dirt and PADDLE tires, as in wfo in the sand all day... A well sealed air box and it should be ok, any leaks and it may be an issue. If you can stand the mirror shine and shaved seat it looks in the photo to be a decent ride. But to me that set up usually means a young owner, dabbling in fmx that values bling over susbstance who often don't have the coin, or maintenance know how. It could still be a great bike, worth a look.

always my biggest fear when buying a new bike is the PO. my KX came into my posession relativly unscathed. I just fear getting into something that will lockup in 2 rides, as Inner motor works is something I haven't learned about yet. Ill give him a call today and see if i can't go inspect it in person

Love the graphics but be careful when you see a sand tire. The 03 I bought came with one. wish I had kept looking but live and learn I guess. I had to replace all of the suspensin bearings and new engine internals because sand tends to get in everywhere. I fixed the airbox problem with an MX Bonz kit and it seals perfect now. check to see if they have done something to fix the airbox issues the 02-04 cr's had. They can let a bunch of sand/ dust through if left stock.

Love the graphics but be careful when you see a sand tire. The 03 I bought came with one. wish I had kept looking but live and learn I guess. I had to replace all of the suspensin bearings and new engine internals because sand tends to get in everywhere. I fixed the airbox problem with an MX Bonz kit and it seals perfect now. check to see if they have done something to fix the airbox issues the 02-04 cr's had. They can let a bunch of sand/ dust through if left stock.

What he said about the airbox. Critical importance. Bought mine already blown up from dude who didn't pay attention to this. :lol:

I ended up picking it up this last saturday. He was very reluctant to give it up, so i was in a bit of a rush to get it from him with bareley the amount he was asking. (long day of driving 6+ hours, bank tellers are closed so I was all over the place cashing in for "personal" loans from friends)

Luckily, all i've found wrong (besides that silly seat) is tires are whipped, it needs rear brake pads, a new UNI filter, and eventually some lower linkage bearings (tad bit of play when moved on the stand). havent pulled the filter yet to see if it's had the seal mod done, but i doubt it.

I took it over to a buddys house to do a little play riding, and that bike is FUN! I felt really comfortable on it being 6' almost 190, and It would track strait as an arrow through the corners! i noticed it was pretty soft on the bottom end, but once I hit that midrange it just wanted to rocket off. it's a definite improvment over my 98 kx.

I'll most likely post a build thread sooner or later, but in the immediate future im doing new tires and some rim painting, airbox mod if it needs it, and I'm going to look into a PWK swap (probably just buy one new and pre-jetted from JD, as jetting and carbs are still pretty new to me and I'd really like a plug and play). Can't wait for some fair weather to get here so i can get this bad boy out on the track!