Drz to Rmz forks?

I was wondering if anybody knew if Rmz (250 or 450) front forks would fit on a Drz? An 05 Drz s to be exact.

triple clamps are different,and i would think you will need a trail tech or other type of speedo (if you want one)but some one that knows for sure will be along soon,till then......

They should be 47mm Showas, with 22.5 offset triple clamps. You may want to verify that depending on year.

You will need the forks, and the triple clamps, and you may need the axle spacers as well.......there is a lot more research and info here on RM fork swaps over the RMZ, why not go that way? The RMZ 250 is a different animal, so no guarantees there.

• Like 1

If anybody else has any info, advice or experience with this conversion, feel free to chime in. Thanks guys.

If anybody else has any info, advice or experience with this conversion, feel free to chime in. Thanks guys.

Have you looked into the claffisieds? Eddie has some for sale. I think they are race tuned.

I think it was SMROOKIE? that had a old thread about this. As I remember the triple clamp was the problem, one of the big companies made the right offset and discontinued it , now there is no real option.

Here is my reply to an old thread......all the info you need.

Here is some info on USD forks for the DRZ that may help you......The offset on the SM's is 22.5. You will most likely not be able to tell the difference between 22.5 and 24.5, I couldn't. I am fairly certain that stock SM forks are 47mm, but you should verify that. So the 47's give you some offset options if you want to go that direction.

I've done the 49mm Showas on both my 400's, and they are awesome. Much of the info below is from another forum member that is no longer around, but his info and research lives on!

First off start with stock RM triple clamp offsets and the forks that came on each model.....

1999 - 2000 RM125 / 250 - 24.5 offset - 49mm USD Showa Forks

2001 - 2004 RM125 - 24.5 offset - 47mm USD Showa Forks

2001 - 2003 RM250 - 24.5 offset - 46mm USD Kayaba Forks

2004 RM250 - 22.5 offset - 47mm USD Showa Forks

2005 RM125 / 250 - 22.5 offset - 47mm USD Showa Forks

2005 RMZ450 - 22.5 offset - 47mm USD Showa Forks

(new axle and axle lugs on the RMZ450 fork may require different spacers maybe more to use a set of its forks etc. on a DRZ or other RM????)

OK Now for fork clamping area diameter measurements for the different forks :

47mm USD Showa Fork : 54.5mm upper 58.5mm lower

46mm USD Kayaba Fork : 54.5mm upper 58.5mm lower

49mm USD Showa Fork : 55.5mm upper 59.5mm lower

So basically an RM triple clamp whether 22.5 offset or 24.5 offset can be used to mount up a set of either 47mm SHW or 46mm KYB USD Forks.

As for the 49mm fork as what came on the 1999-2000 models you are stuck with a 24.5 at least as far as stock and most aftermarket clamps are concerned.

If you go for the 49's, try and buy them with whatever set of triple clamps they had........locating those triples can be a little tough. The 46 or 47mm forks will be more than adequate for the DRZ application, and they are easier to locate.

Try playing with the amount of fork sticking out the top of the triple a little, the 49mm forks are a little longer than the stockers, and if you are all the way out on the forks, you have effectively slowed down your steering by making it act like a chopper a little. The DRZ SM forks are shorter than the S and E models. So, my guess is that you need to lower the forks a little to help quicken the steering.

Also, you really need to make sure the rear suspension is sprung and the sag is set for your weight so that the bike is balanced front to rear. Did you respring the RM forks, or are they stock RM springs?

• Like 1

hmm... what about using 400sm triples with rm forks? i have a set of sm triples to go on my s when i source a cheap set of rm forks. would i still be able to use the stock speedo? i'd rather do the rm forks so i can still run the smaller(stock) rotor, then use a oversized rotor and bracket for SM wheels... thoughts?

Verify that your SM triples are for 47mm forks, which I believe they are. So, then I think you are on a good path for a reasonably priced set of USD forks for your S. You brake solutions are also sound thoughts! :lol:

On 11/22/2011 at 10:13 PM, aspencop129 said:

Here is my reply to an old thread......all the info you need.

Here is some info on USD forks for the DRZ that may help you......The offset on the SM's is 22.5. You will most likely not be able to tell the difference between 22.5 and 24.5, I couldn't. I am fairly certain that stock SM forks are 47mm, but you should verify that. So the 47's give you some offset options if you want to go that direction.

I've done the 49mm Showas on both my 400's, and they are awesome. Much of the info below is from another forum member that is no longer around, but his info and research lives on!

First off start with stock RM triple clamp offsets and the forks that came on each model.....

1999 - 2000 RM125 / 250 - 24.5 offset - 49mm USD Showa Forks

2001 - 2004 RM125 - 24.5 offset - 47mm USD Showa Forks

2001 - 2003 RM250 - 24.5 offset - 46mm USD Kayaba Forks

2004 RM250 - 22.5 offset - 47mm USD Showa Forks

2005 RM125 / 250 - 22.5 offset - 47mm USD Showa Forks

2005 RMZ450 - 22.5 offset - 47mm USD Showa Forks

(new axle and axle lugs on the RMZ450 fork may require different spacers maybe more to use a set of its forks etc. on a DRZ or other RM????)

OK Now for fork clamping area diameter measurements for the different forks :

47mm USD Showa Fork : 54.5mm upper 58.5mm lower

46mm USD Kayaba Fork : 54.5mm upper 58.5mm lower

49mm USD Showa Fork : 55.5mm upper 59.5mm lower

So basically an RM triple clamp whether 22.5 offset or 24.5 offset can be used to mount up a set of either 47mm SHW or 46mm KYB USD Forks.

As for the 49mm fork as what came on the 1999-2000 models you are stuck with a 24.5 at least as far as stock and most aftermarket clamps are concerned.

If you go for the 49's, try and buy them with whatever set of triple clamps they had........locating those triples can be a little tough. The 46 or 47mm forks will be more than adequate for the DRZ application, and they are easier to locate.

Try playing with the amount of fork sticking out the top of the triple a little, the 49mm forks are a little longer than the stockers, and if you are all the way out on the forks, you have effectively slowed down your steering by making it act like a chopper a little. The DRZ SM forks are shorter than the S and E models. So, my guess is that you need to lower the forks a little to help quicken the steering.

Also, you really need to make sure the rear suspension is sprung and the sag is set for your weight so that the bike is balanced front to rear. Did you respring the RM forks, or are they stock RM springs?

Does this mean the 2005 rm250 is the best option?