Sign in to follow this  

Toyota Advice Needed...Again...

Okay so the ol' 94 4-4runner 3.0l V-6 threw a check engine light tonight on my way home from work...got home and ran it...code 25...lean mixture...the slew of possibilities that could cause it is long...where do I start and how do I test different possibilities???

Thanks Again,

-mt-

...whenever my 2000 Tacoma throws a "lean bank one" code (possibly similar to your code)...It's always the maf sensor that is dirty that trips the code. You may also have a slight intake leak. Check your clamps on the intake hoses. I had this happen once before and the slightest leak caused it to run horrible. You may also have a bad o2 sensor (worst case scenario). Good luck. Hopefully it's something simple.

...whenever my 2000 Tacoma throws a "lean bank one" code (possibly similar to your code)...It's always the maf sensor that is dirty that trips the code. You may also have a slight intake leak. Check your clamps on the intake hoses. I had this happen once before and the slightest leak caused it to run horrible. You may also have a bad o2 sensor (worst case scenario). Good luck. Hopefully it's something simple.

I have heard of guys cleaning their MAF but have never done it myself...is their a certain cleaner or way to clean it or a way not to clean it??? I am asuming just a clean rag and some break clean would work...

-mt-

Use the non chlorinated(sp) kind, spray it off and reinstall. I have to do it on the ctd ever 10k or so....Diesel is a bit dirtier though,lol.

I have heard of guys cleaning their MAF but have never done it myself...is their a certain cleaner or way to clean it or a way not to clean it??? I am asuming just a clean rag and some break clean would work...

-mt-

I always use MAF cleaner from the local auto parts store.

I use Di-electric cleaner aerosol. Most electronic supply shops carry this. Be very careful when cleaning the sensor as they are very fragile. Once sprayed with the leaner I gently wipe it off with a cotton swab.:lol:

Okay so the ol' 94 4-4runner 3.0l V-6 threw a check engine light tonight on my way home from work...got home and ran it...code 25...lean mixture...the slew of possibilities that could cause it is long...where do I start and how do I test different possibilities???

Thanks Again,

-mt-

Look for an air leak. Air inlet hose between air filter and throttle body cracked or broken? Look close, especially under neat the clamp area at the throttle body. Injectors plugged? If you have over 90K on it, they are somewhat. Any vacuum hoses off? How many miles? Injector seals where they go into the intake get brittle and hard, suck air in there too.

Hey, I sold my cherry Tacoma, 1998 TRD 4WD V6, 60K miles, got $13,500! :lol:

He doesnt have a MAF, he has the old school AFM (air flow meter)

Look for an air leak. Air inlet hose between air filter and throttle body cracked or broken? Look close, especially under neat the clamp area at the throttle body. Injectors plugged? If you have over 90K on it, they are somewhat. Any vacuum hoses off? How many miles? Injector seals where they go into the intake get brittle and hard, suck air in there too.

Hey, I sold my cherry Tacoma, 1998 TRD 4WD V6, 60K miles, got $13,500! :lol:

Wow that's incredible!!! Good sell!!!:)

Injectors were cleaned and replaced 10k ago with rebuild...I cleaned up the AFM and checked all of the intake hoses and reset the codes...so we will see if it comes back...

I will take a look at vacuum hoses tomorrow...what are the chances that an o2 sensor would throw code 25??? On the list of possibilities it is one item that I cant remember when it was last replaced...

Thanks again for the help and advice...

-mt-

Wow that's incredible!!! Good sell!!!:lol:

Injectors were cleaned and replaced 10k ago with rebuild...I cleaned up the AFM and checked all of the intake hoses and reset the codes...so we will see if it comes back...

I will take a look at vacuum hoses tomorrow...what are the chances that an o2 sensor would throw code 25??? On the list of possibilities it is one item that I cant remember when it was last replaced...

Thanks again for the help and advice...

-mt-

It can be an o2 sensor. Just as long as you dont get code 25 and 26 at the same time. (spendy mechanical issues, ie compression difference)