Sign in to follow this  

installing horn without battery?

I have a 'street legal' drz400 kick. no problems with the dmv as it's AZ and they don't even ask to see the bike...

but I want/need a horn. the bike, being a kick, doesn't have a battery and I have no intention to add one.

How would I hook up a horn? I am a mechanical engineer, not an electrical, so....heeeelp!:lol:

Thanks!

Lots of options for a horn as long as you don't have to use it with a dead motor. Motor running you have 12 volt power with regulation and capacitor smoothing. Any 12 volt horn should work. If you want a horn independent of the motor running, buy a battery operated bicycle piezoelectric horn. All self contained.

Pretty sure a mechanical engineer can solve this one.

noble, of course i don't. please do not reply with useless posts. i am asking a serious question here and have gotten nothing but bullshit answers.

my advice to a new member would be listen when he speaks(read when he types)

Noble gives some of the best info on this site.

he was trying to help. maybe re-read his posts?

I am sure he has great advice, he just hasn't shared any with me. I'm not trying to piss anyone off, just saying that i asked a question and i got 7 posts that are of no use to anyone.

now please, can anyone help or am i deleting this thread so that no one can learn from it in the future?

You know nothing about a piezoelectric horn. Good luck.

Noble, I'll bite! What exactly is it? I couldn't find many details or pics of bikes that used a horn like this in moto applications. Saw some sites of guys talking about using it on they're bikes, but most of the links were blocked by my work computer. I tried searching it and looks like something that might work. That's great info, never heard of it before.

OP, maybe you should stop taking everything so personally. Most everyone on this site is here to help, and poke a little fun at the same time. :)

No worries!

:lol:

Do you have lights on the bike? If so they would be a good place to find 12volts........

i had a honda 70 trail bike when i was a kid. it didn't have a battery, but did have a horn that worked. the horn would be louder and a higher pitch the faster i went. I would have to assume there would be some product out there that could be powered by a 9v battery, possibly for bicycles, but i have never seen one. or, as a previous poster suggested, if you have lights, you have 12v you can tap into. sorry i couldn't be more help.