Sign in to follow this  

Dilemma...Help an old guy

My Son has a 2011 YZ450F with a all the goodies, Hinson Clutch, Fluidyne Radiators, Yosh RS4, RG3 Suspension, Black Excel Rims and Hubs etc...

Anyway, he is off to college soon and I cant decide whether or not to take the 450 and just redo the suspension or buy a New Two Stroke YZ or KTM. Unfortunately I sold his KILLER YZ250 Two Stroke a while ago and I could kick myself :lol: but I haven't ridden in about 7 years and I never really liked the 4 stroke feel. If there are any old guys that can offer some advice i'm am taking all I can get. Thanks. BTW Im 47 years old...if that helps.

keep it and buy a smoker for yourself. that way you guys can ride together when he's on break. it's good motivation for him to come spend time with you when he's not in school.

Great advice and I did the same.

I just turned 55 and coming off breaking 9 ribs. So take my advice with a grain of salt. I had a 98 KTM 300EXC that was really sweet. And it would take woods roots and rocks well. Only reason I sold it was it was too powerful for me. I couldn't keep my right wrist in check, if you know what I mean. My current fav is an 04 WR250F. Buddy of mine likes the YZ and has a Rekluse on it for woods. I agree with keeping the 450.

I'm 50 and have both a 2006 YZ450 and a 2002 YZ250 that has been built from the ground up with everything I could possibly want. 300 Eric Gorr Kit, Rekluse Clutch, Wide Ratio Trans, etc, etc, etc. The 450 also has a rekluse and some other nice goodies. Both bikes have Flexx bars and Scotts damper and the suspension has been specifically worked for me.

I love the YZ300 - it is light, fun, and a kick to ride. I had the power band set to low / mid so it doesn't have the Hit that a 2-stoke typically has. I also love the 450. It is stable, fast, power for ever, easy to ride when tired, and will go anywhere as fast as you want to go and for as long as you want to hold the throttle open. The ability to simply twist the throttle in virtually any gear is a real benefit of the big bore 4-stroke.

My take is that if you spend the time to learn to appreciate the differences of the 4-stroke you'll really enjoy the riding experience. I'm a bigger guy and the stock 250 2-stroke was too much like a light switch for my liking. The 300 kit makes the bike a nice blend between the lightness of the 2-stroke and the power band of the 4-stroke.

If you can end up wtih both then go for it. But since you've got a well equiped, newer YZ450 I'd say invest the time to appreicate the bike and then your decision will be very clear!

No doubt, keep the 450 and buy a 2- stroke as well. The loss you'd take on the 450 would buy a very nice late model smoker anyway.

lol use the 4 stroke its like cheating. I run a yz250 2 stroke and my son has a 2010 kx450f. we went riding a few months ago and I sluggishly decide to give his bike a try. Big mistake!!! wow its just like cheating be it on mx track or tight woods LOL I love it and hate to ride my 250 now. just my two cents, bear in mind I have been riding for 34 years I am a bit over weight and I am lazy and also I am slow. but maN i FEKLT GOOD ON THE KX450

lol use the 4 stroke its like cheating. I run a yz250 2 stroke and my son has a 2010 kx450f. we went riding a few months ago and I sluggishly decide to give his bike a try. Big mistake!!! wow its just like cheating be it on mx track or tight woods LOL I love it and hate to ride my 250 now. just my two cents, bear in mind I have been riding for 34 years I am a bit over weight and I am lazy and also I am slow. but maN i FEKLT GOOD ON THE KX450

the big 450's wear me out faster in tight woods. but too each their own i guess. btw i'm fat, old, and slow myself. but every year i get a little bit faster when i was younger.:lol:

I am 46 and was riding a YZ 125 set up for the woods. After too many broken bones, I bought a 2011 KTM 250 XC-F and it is awesome. It is just so much easier to ride and I love the fuel injection.

if you dont like the 4 stroke feel, dont ride it. Isnt that why we ride dirt bikes to enjoy ourselves. If you like the feel of the 2 stroke more get a 2 stroke

Seems pretty easy to me, you have a nice 450, why not give it a chance and ride it a few times. If you still jones for a 250 2t, then go get one. Keep the 450 to ride with your son if you can afford to, if not, send it down the rode.

I'd keep the 450 and give it try like others have said. Are you in good shape? If so, I don't think you'll have a problem and you will enjoy the 450 I think. If you are out of shape you might have to ramp up your conditioning depending on the type of riding you will be doing.:lol::ride::)

I currently own a 2008 ktm 450 xc-f that I absolutely love but I just put a deposit of a 2012 ktm 300xc!!! So it al comes down to the kind of riding that you do!!