Sign in to follow this  

Gearing & Chain Slider/Guide

OK, I want to change the gearing and would like to hear how slide fairs with the 12t front and whether or not the TM Guide fits properly with a 51 or 52 rear sprocket. I bought the bike with 1,300 miles on it, the chain is well wore and make all kind of noise when ridden. I am about to order new sprockets, chain, slider and guide. For what it's worth, I am 230 pounds and trail ride/hill climb and need this thing to lug my fat axx around!

Thanks- Jared

I don't know anything about the chain slider, but i can tell you I ride this bike stock with no mods (yet) and, with my weight of 250 LBS (+ gear), it is like a tractor on hills and on sandy or muddy terrains.

This bike bone stock and new has a noisy chain and you need to keep your chain on the tighter side of the spec or it slaps. I'm just use to to now [as we all are] and make sure we tighten it when needed. If the chain gets too loose, I've seen [on TT] where bolts on the inside case cover have been hit and side knobbies cut. Also, if you do a search on this forum, I seem to believe that going to a 12T up front will not affect the slider at all but make sure and replace it with an aftermarket one. If you only need a small gear change, try going up 2 or 3T in the back if you're worried about excessive wear. I believe the ratio is 1 to 3. Meaning that 3T up in back is equal to 1T down in the front:thumbsup:

I have a 12 up front with the stock 50 in back, along with the TM slider and stock chain. Seems to work fine, though it still gets a little noisy if the chain is loose. I like the 12, since it lets you pick your way through the slow stuff easier, with less chance of stalling. Whatever top speed I've lost isn't an issue, since it will still go over 70 mph with this gearing, which is faster than I ever need.

i've got a 13-54 setup that i've been running for a few years. Great gearing, im sure it's close to thumpthing old's 12-50 setup. I did have to fab up a bracket to move the rear chain guide for the 54 to fit.

I run 14/46 and I use a TM designs chain slider and chain guide works like a charm. I guess you were looking at running a 12 tooth up front but you can comfortably run up too a 14 tooth up front with the TM designs slider no problem.

I run 12/53 with TM slide-and-guide and renthal R3-2 o-ring chain. It is still noisy when I run the chain at 2" slack, but I have gotten use to it. Only count on the 12 tooth to last for 1000 miles if you ride moderatly aggresive. It is wonderful gearing for tight nasty stuff.

Last weekend I put on a 13T (waiting for my replacement 12t) and went riding. I ran into a couple trials guys on fancy Gas-Gas bikes looking at a nasty hill climb route. I proudly bragged how I cut that route in and went to prove it. I had a huge fail at the crux because I forgot I had the 13T up front, couldn't make the turn at the speed a 13 was giving me and I stalled and high sided and rolled down the steep rocky rooty with the trials guys running over to rescure my 450. I did get it on second attempt but it was way ugly and that is when I realized the problem was not with me, it was the gearing.

Now a 54 on back would be even better. Can you post a picture of your extended bracket BirmKLX450?

I'm (210lbs) always fiddling with some thing, and on my 08 klx450r, 13 front (stock) and 52 rear seems to be the ticket for me. Normal/common mods, plus Hinson steel clutch drum. Traction and or making the rear tire do its thing; fancy clutching, body postion, grooving the tire, or even a trials tire seems to make hill climbing much more fun. That balance of all envoled to push me and machine up this hill, don't dig a hole or wheelie to much and shot he over top is such a rush. I often pratice the tuffer hills over and over. Secondly this gearing is so much fun 2nd 3rd 4th gears on the trail ripping.