buying a burnt 08 YZ250f..question on wiring and carb..

I'm hoping you guys can help me out on this one...One of my co-workers has a 08 YZ250f that was in a flash fire that left all the plastic melted, wiring burnt and carburetor is toast (literally..lol)

Anyways he offered to sell it to me fairly cheap (around $500.)..I havent had a chance to look at it yet but he says the motor appears to be in good shape(other than the carb) radiators good, front suspension good, frame and swingarm are good too.. It will need a rear shock as it sounds like the fire destroyed the shock seals...

I'm thinking of buying it and try and bring her back to life....Not sure if it will be worth it or not...

Can anyone tell me what year carbs will fit the 08 and what year wiring harness and CDI box will fit...If I get it I think I will try to get a carb and wiring first just to make sure the engine runs then go from there.. Any comments /help would be greatly appreciated........Thanks!

How quickly did he get the fire out? If it burned long, the frame may be gone, and not even look it. Aluminum melts at 500 degrees which is low, and it turns to powder where it breaks. So I'm thinking you will need a new frame first. The shock puts extreme forces on the frame as well as jumping. Don't risk your life!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you might be in more than just wiring and carb. Plastics, seat, hoses etc. etc. If you're up to a challange and have patience of a saint then by all means go for it! The carb from any year except 2012 should work. WR carbs have an ACV on them but will work as well. Like Ron said be careful of the aluminum frame. Not sure about the years for wiring and CDI tho. Look on eBay and scout around bike salvage yards and websites to find parts for the same year bike just to be safe. Worst case scenario you can buy the bike and sell the salvageable parts easily for more than $500.

Another option is to find another YZ or WR with a blown up engine that the seller wants to sell for cheap then do some parts swapping.

Or......... Buy the bike, get insurance on it then a few days later send them a pic of the bike and say "OMG!!! Look what happen to my bike!!! Where's my money?!?" Then buy the bike back from the insurance company then fix it up. Just an idea.

Good luck to whatever you do

I'm glad I posted this on here and I really appreciate the feedback..I think I will pass on this one...I never thought about the frame possibly weakened from the heat...I guess what happened was the guy had the bike in his basement on a stand and it fell over leaking gas that was ignited by a hot water heater..Luckily his house didnt burn down but there was smoke damage...

My buddy bought it off him mainly for parts for his bike but he just bought a new KTM so he is selling everything...It was hot enough to warp the top of the carb and he said all the plastic is gone...must of gotten pretty hot..He said the motor turns over but that doesnt mean much...I'm going to try and stop by tomorrow just to look it over...He said he would let it go for $400.00 I'll get some pictures if I can..Thanks for all the comments..

John

How quickly did he get the fire out? If it burned long, the frame may be gone, and not even look it. Aluminum melts at 500 degrees which is low, and it turns to powder where it breaks. So I'm thinking you will need a new frame first. The shock puts extreme forces on the frame as well as jumping. Don't risk your life!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly what aluminum melts at 500 degrees?