Sign in to follow this  

shim question

so im wondering, when i went to my local shop last friday for my riding partners 04 r's shims (right intake was at less than .03 cm or mm i really can't remember right now) they said the smallest shim they had was a 1.25 or something like that... is that just back to stock shim? i'm honestly lost after showing them my measurements andwhat not they were confused too, who screwed up... me i'm assuming... but what should the size of the shim be to get it back to stock?

"Stock" is normally 1.9-1.95ish. 1.25 is the smallest in most kits. Time for new intake valves.

"Stock" is normally 1.9-1.95ish. 1.25 is the smallest in most kits. Time for new intake valves.

My stock shims for my 05' were 1.85 and 1.88

well i mightve just measured wrong, i'll have to just measure it again... and then see, but it's supposedly only the first shim job it's had... according to shop records from the previous/original owner... the right valve was just sucked up in there... if it shims out and stays there i'll leave it but, how hard is it really to do new intake valves? i've got quite a bit of motor experience but not with bikes as much as cars...

My stock shims for my 05' were 1.85 and 1.88

That's the "Ish" part

If that's the first time shimming, maybe the seat was cut too much, or multiple times?

i find that it being an 04 highly suggests new valves, doing them yourself is easy but you will need a shop to re-cut the valve seats for you.

When you measured the clearance, what was it? Intakes. If you couldn't get your smallest feeler yo slide then the valve had zero clearance.

and what is the CURRENT shim size under the valve bucket?

just to make sure: valves wear against the valve seat, causing the valve stem to "lift up" closing the clearance between the cam and bucket. as the vavle wears you need to periodically replace the shim for a "thinner" one (very rarely do valve clearances grow). the smallest valve shim available is a 1.20mm shim, if your current size is a 1.25mm then your valves are toast and as mentioned before, shimming them will give you very little time before it zeroes again.

thats not the current size, what i said was the shop i went to sugguested 1.25... i feel like thats way too small...i didn't buy them because i wanted to check somewhere first i'm pretty sure the size under it is like a 1.6ish (haven't been over to work on it in a while)

the clearence on the intakes is supposed to be 0.12mm +-0.3mm so takeing the upper tolerance (0.15mm) and adding that to what the dealer is suggesting (which is a 1.25+0.15) then you have a 1.40mm shim in there currently. once again there is no "stock" shim, their size depends on the right clearance. my CRF ate valves for breakfast, i installed kibblewhite SS intake kit which increased the valve life 3 fold.

wel i check the valve clearence and the valve shims from a 2012 and the both intake ar the same , yust as the 2 exh shims, there be stock shims , but this is only on a new bike, you can count on it that a factory with for millions of dollars equipment they can set the valve,s all the same .

is that intake kit like new valves and buckets/springs orrr?

the intake kit includes the intake valves, and valve springs. you will have to get a machine shop to "cut" your valve seats, but the rest is pretty much plug and play...