Sign in to follow this  

Chain is too short - *** Happened

06 X - Stock gearing is 14/53 and 116 link chain.

Changed to 13/51 and the sprocket calculator says 112 links.

http://www.sprocketcalculator.com/

I have 112 links in chain and can not get rear wheel on even with the axle out. It even looks too short. :lol::banghead:

I am counting each pin as a link. Is that right? Seems like it because I counted them on the chain I removed (116) and new chain (120).

I bought 2 extra master links and one was supposed to be a rivet link but they sent me 2 extra clip style master links.

From another post, it looks like I should have 114 links in the chain and that the calculator is wrong. :):foul::banghead::foul:

I'm thinking my only hope of salvaging the chain is to break it and add a couple links but won't the chain be weaker as a result of breaking it and adding 2 more master links?

I'm thinking I should just order 2 more rivet style links to hopefully help with the strength and add the 2 links with them. If I do that, do I break it at the current rivet master link?

What would you do...besides being smart enough to not get into this pickle.

Thanks.

Edited by dmac1

For future reference always install the sprockets and wheel onto the bike then thread the chain on in order to check the needed length. Then you can break the chain to the correct number of links.

Now to fix your problem you can use the two master links along with the needed links that were left over when you first broke the chain. Thread the chain on with a master link installed on each end, place both chain ends at the rear sprocket and count the number of missing links. This won't be a perfect fix but a better solution would be to buy a rivet type master link to use in place of one of the clip type masters, reduces the chance of clip failure in half.

Don't lose sleep over the masters being weak. I once owned a KLX650 torque monster that broke chains on the trail. I would repair on the trail by installing a master link in place of the broken link. Each time a new breakage would occur it was never a master that would break, always a regular link, finally ended up running 6 or 7 master links on that chain!

I have the same gearing and a 114 link chain and i have to put my axle block adjusters as tight as they would go in order to get it on. I had to fight in on there. Now it's stretched out a little and working just fine.

I have the same gearing and a 114 link chain and i have to put my axle block adjusters as tight as they would go in order to get it on. I had to fight in on there. Now it's stretched out a little and working just fine.

Thanks Bill. Appreciate the heads up to not panick if its tight at 114 upon assembly. When I was trying 112 I even took took the axle out, so I'm guessing that might be an easy way once I get the chain to the right length.

I'm believe 116 is too long. I see, according to the infamous sprocket calculator, that an 06 R with 13/51 uses 114 links. I presume swingarm and frame are the same and so the dimensions should be the same.

They are the same in geometry. That's not a bad idea putting the chain on with out the axle installed. I'll have the remember that next time.