Sign in to follow this  

'96 and later XR250R fork tuning

Okay, so from what I've read the only damping variables on the 96 and later cartridge forks are how many shims in the compression stack, the setting of the low-speed compression clickers on the bottom of the fork, and the oil thickness. Correct?

So what if I want more rebound damping to slow down the rebound? I can switch to thicker oil, then remove shims from the compression stack to reduce the effect that the thicker oil has on compression, right? Can you add more shims on top of the stock amount so that doing the opposite will allow for quicker rebound using thinner oil?

It seems like there should be a rebound stack too but I've heard nothing about a rebound stack for the XR250R forks. :lol:

I can only tell you this,I put over 700.00 in the late xr250 forks,gold valves,springs,oil.Could not get them to work good like xr4 forks.The problem the comp valve does not flow oil well.So only answer is gold valve or remove shims.Other problem forks diameter too small,hi speed wobble Fork brace helps this Im sure someone can get them too work.You can also put alot of money in the gutter like I did.

I suggest going to a larger diameter fork that has compression and rebound clickers.

KYB 46C from 89 RM125, 89 KX125/250, 00-07 XR650

Showa 49C from 96-98 RM125/250, DRZ400

Or Showa 47U USDs from a late mode CR250 or a CRF250/450/R/X

I can only tell you this,I put over 700.00 in the late xr250 forks,gold valves,springs,oil.Could not get them to work good like xr4 forks.The problem the comp valve does not flow oil well.So only answer is gold valve or remove shims.Other problem forks diameter too small,hi speed wobble Fork brace helps this Im sure someone can get them too work.You can also put alot of money in the gutter like I did.
I suggest going to a larger diameter fork that has compression and rebound clickers.

KYB 46C from 89 RM125, 89 KX125/250, 00-07 XR650

Showa 49C from 96-98 RM125/250, DRZ400

Or Showa 47U USDs from a late mode CR250 or a CRF250/450/R/X

Cool, so I guess the rave reviews about XR250R forks in the CRF230F forum were lies! I got these XR250R forks for only $100 so I might as well try to see what I can do with them before I dump them for some USD forks.

I'm still looking for the answers to my original questions. Can I make adjustments to the damping of these forks as I stated?

Something to keep in mind: I'm mainly asking this question for XR250R forks being used on a CRF230F.

Yup sounds right to me. I'll probably just go with custom wound springs n heavier oil in my stock xr forks till I can get a buy on some xr400 forks. No sense in braking the bank to end up with sub-par forks. Moto pro suspension in wash. GivEs good prices on custom work, same with Devol racing up here in the PNW.

A couple big things you can do: get the right spring rate, play with the oil height, and play with the clickers. After that, next step is either Gold Valve Emulators or swap out for a good set of USD forks.

Cool, so I guess the rave reviews about XR250R forks in the CRF230F forum were lies! I got these XR250R forks for only $100 so I might as well try to see what I can do with them before I dump them for some USD forks.

I'm still looking for the answers to my original questions. Can I make adjustments to the damping of these forks as I stated?

Something to keep in mind: I'm mainly asking this question for XR250R forks being used on a CRF230F.

Originally Posted by Honduki:

the Xr forks are 41mm in dia, the crf230 ones are 37 mm so I guess they would be an upgrade/improvement on the Crf230 ones

Originally Posted by Baja trail Rider:

Yes the xr250 forks would still be better than 230 forks,hi speed would not be a problem on the 230.

:lol::lol:

The difference between the 96+ XR250R forks and the CRF230 forks is the different method of providing damping. The 96+ XR250R uses a cartridge damping unit with spring loaded valves (like a shock on a car), damping rod forks have no valves.

Cartridge forks, both conventional and USD, provide much better damping and versatility than damper rod forks, I've always been pleasantly surprised every time I swap out DR forks for cartridge forks.

Okay so I just got back from my first track day with the XR forks on the 230. Not toooo shabby in comparison to the 230 forks w/ cartridge fork emulators. I'm loving the extra ground clearance from having a 1.5" raise front and rear when laying it over in ruts. These forks are wayyy less wobbly than the 230 forks. These XR forks need just a tad more rebound damping though, and I'm already running the oil as thick as I'm willing to go. Any thicker on the oil and it would make the high speed comp too harsh. The high speed comp is pretty good right now, as is the low speed.

Chuck, I agree DR forks blow. You have to admit that they work pretty damn well with the racetech cartridge emulators though!

Chuck, I agree DR forks blow. You have to admit that they work pretty damn well with the racetech cartridge emulators though!

I agree, the emulators gets you about 80% of cartridge (some say 90%) which for most users is a dramatic improvement. I have a set of XR250 DR forks on a XR200 and they are an improvement over stock, probably because of the extra stiffness provided by the larger diameter. However they don't hold a candle to the cartridge forks on my other bikes for good suspension over a wider range of speed and terrain.