Sign in to follow this  

ice screws

Im looking at getting some ice screw for my bike this year for some winter riding. I know i got to get certain sizes... so lets say my lug height is 1/2, would i get a 5/8th screw? Im looking at getting koldkutters. also how many should i do for the rear and front? also will the tires be usable this spring? the previous owner studded them before and i ran the tires this year with no problems

kold kutters are great studs. If your tires are that worn i would be hesitant, just try not to drill the screw so far that the head sinks in the lug otherwise you'll probably be shopping for new tubes. usually 1000 is a good number, you'll probably have a few left over but they always rip out so its nice to have replacements. Oh, and don't put the studs in the old holes if you can help it, they'll rip out twice as easy.

Thanks for the info! The 1/2 was just a random number to try to figure out how much taller of a stud i had to get. like on snowmobile studs if you have a 1" track you need a 1 1/4 stud. The front tire is original and is barley worn, but the rear is only a season old (95% tread). I will get a lug depth measurement tomorrow

Oh ok, but unlike a snowmobile it's measured by thread length not the head that bites into the ice. As long as it doesn't poke through you should be good.

alright so the rear tire is 1/2 tread depth, and the front is 1/4 so what size stud should i be looking at getting?

Get premade tires save yourself the time money and effort. If you make ice tires without a liner all the studds are going to pull out. Ive been ice racing for years trust me. The tires you make will most likely have crappy traction and you will be taking my advice and buying a used set of good ice tires. Strange/fredette/rosine/there all good ama tires and can fid a cheap used set easy.