Sign in to follow this  

Please help !! 2008 RMZ450

Went out riding today and the rmz is cutting out badly. The bike runs great for a few seconds and then starts to cut out to where it will die if you are not on the throttle. We have a fmf power programer on the bike as well. If anyone has any ideas PLEASE help. Thanks and have a blessed day.

Take the power programmer off and hook everything up like it is without the programmer. I know a guy who had a power commander get damaged and made the bike run bad. He took the PC off and it ran fine.

although i dont have extensive experience with this, it sounds like a programming issue to me as well. a clogged injector would manifest itself in a poor running condition ALL the time. if yours is running good for a bit and then starts acting up, i would suspect your programmer as well

You might check the air temp sensor in the airbox. Mine had issues cutting out due to a broken wire going to that sensor. When you take the seat off, the wire is underneath the rubber flap at the bottom of the tank/subframe junction.

i've also heard of people have issues with the tip over sensor going bad and causing the bike to run weird. this doesn't sound like it, but it could be another thing to possibly check.

I sold my 08 RMZ450 to a guy at the beginning of the year and after a while he told me of a similar problem, he checked all of the sensors etc etc etc but in the end he changed the plug and never looked back, pulls like a train now. Maybe worth a punt before you go the expensive route.

Thanks guys for the ideas. Well I removed the fmf power programmer and that did not help. When I looked at all the wires and plugs I was amazed how it looked. I think when the dealership put the 09 motor in they wired it up a little to fast. It was totally a sloppy job. I am re routing the wirers and cleaning it all up. I should have it all done tonight, I will let you know if that helps. Thanks again guys and have a blessed night or day.

RMZ450_bonger Thanks I have already tried that as well. Though it sounded a little better it still is cutting out. Thanks for the idea bro..

funkinalive, Thanks for the idea but I changed it last night and NO LUCK !!! Still searching for the problem. Thanks

i once had a two stroke that had gotten a wire loose on the cylindrical condenser (i believe thats what its called) the bike ran fine at low rpm but sputtered and ran rough going up in the rpms. maybe go over your wiring again and compare it to wiring diagrams for your bike.

either its electrical or a fuel delivery problem, maybe injector is clogged or even the fuel filter...

Guys THANKS so much for your ideas and for your help !! Funk you were correct my friend it was the INJECTORS !!! Anyway, I attached a photo of my baby hope you like her !!! lol !! Take care, ride safe, and Happy Holidays to all my ZOOK brothers !!! Chad

Check the other post with the broken sensor-alot of sensors.wires and plugs that can go bad. I am going to say its either teh wiring,fuel pump,fuel filter or the throttle position sensor. Since it idles OK and only does it while riding-I'd say pump is OK,but the filter or TPS would be my first things to check (other than obviuous things)

funk, yes I had to replace it !!! Not the cheapest thing to replace but hopefully this will fix the thing !!! I have a date with her in the morning BRAAAAAAP !!! Take care my friend !!!