Sign in to follow this  

I'm sure noone had tried this before but ill ask anyway.

Okay so heres my satuation I have a 2006 kawi 450 practice bike which is a 4 speed and my race bike is a 2011 kawi 450 5 speed. Even with the motor mods and the great throttle response due to the efi on my '11 the 06 is still quite a bit faster and way more fun to ride due to the fact that its a 4 speed. I have a spare motor for my 2011 and I am thinking about tearing it along with the motor on the '06 apart and seeing if the transmission from the 2006 will fit in the 2011. I it does great! If not I wasted a few hours no big deal. I'm almost positive noone has tried this but I figured i'd ask and see if anyone knows if this can be done?

i think you're the first guy i've ever heard of that would prefer the 4 over the 5 speed. sorry i can't offer any help other than that observation.
haha its all good man! And yeah I know most people couldn't adjust to the 4 speed but its just one of those things you either love it or hate it lol. I never really understood why a 450 with so much torque needed 5 gears with such close ratios. I just like how easy it is to ride you just put it in 3rd gear and leave it. I race mx and I've never had it in 2nd or 4th on a track. Everyone says I'm just lazy and dont wanna shift lol but its not even that its just a totally different machine. It gets way better traction than the 5 speed and put the power to use instead of having tons of power and sliding all over the place. Edited by jamestownhopeful
Spelling corrections.

a good buddy of mine has the '06 and it's nice having such a broad range in each gear but it's frustrating to me when you're mostly at that in-between spped. having to wind out second soo much before throwing to 3rd annoys me but then again i only jump on his bike every now and then. if it was my bike maybe i'd get more used to it.

a good buddy of mine has the '06 and it's nice having such a broad range in each gear but it's frustrating to me when you're mostly at that in-between spped. having to wind out second soo much before throwing to 3rd annoys me but then again i only jump on his bike every now and then. if it was my bike maybe i'd get more used to it.
Theres an awesome solution to that problem a company called quick throttle makes a 1/4 turn throttle tube which I have on my 06 and it completly eliminates that "in between" feeling. Only downside is it makes getting whiskey throttled ALOT more interesting! Haha

my vintage mx ride, is a 500 4 stroke with a 4 speed. I love, enough torque to roll on through any gear.

From 07 and on they were 5-speeds, but I´m 99% certain all the gear ratios are the same for each (and still is to this day) gear except for the tacked on 5´th gear. In 07 it also got 3 more horsepower to pull the big gaps better.

I´m pretty sure you can be happy with just a simple change of the rear sprocket instead of trying to swap out transmssion parts.

The shift mechanism, shift drum and shift forks were also improved over the years, so going to an 06 gearbox would most likely be a step backwards, even if it seems well suited to the old bike...

My understanding is that the first 4 gear ratios are the same with 5th gear on the post

'06 bikes just an added overdrive. I don't see how this would make your '06 any faster or more fun.

Are the sprocket tooth counts the same on both bikes?

On a track, all the KX450F are 3 speeds. On the 06 you never use 1st, and on the later models you never use 1st or 5th.

2nd to 4th gears are the same ratios on the 06 onward. Most guys pick the right sprockets to ride most of a lap in 3rd gear, or to get 3rd in the right revs for certain obstacles.

The 06 has good bottom and mid rev torque, so it copes fine on most tracks with 13:49T. The good thing about the 4 speed are the wider chunkier cogs.

I dont think Kawi made any significant improvements to easy of shifting in the later models. I've looked after my 06, and it became far better at shifting with normal use, and I'd say it shifts as good or better than any of the newer model KX450Fs I've ridden. But the type of oil used makes a big difference IMO.

Jamestownhopeful, I have an 06' KX 450F also. I just bought it recently. I dont race or anything, but I am still getting used to the 4 speed. I was wondering if you have any suggestions on what aftermarket sprocket sizes work the best for getting the most out of the 4 speed tranny. Thanks bud!

I am still getting used to the 4 speed. I was wondering if you have any suggestions on what aftermarket sprocket sizes work the best for getting the most out of the 4 speed tranny.

Gearing choice is a personal thing. For most tracks you could put on 13:49 click it into 3rd and take the gear shifter off. Assuming valves, cams, jetting and spark are all good, it'll pull hard from just above idle to the 11250 rev limit.

If you are riding on an open farm then try 13:48. Or if in a tight paddock or dunes then you want 13:50 or maybe 13:51.

If your tracks are not tight, run always run enough chain links to keep your axle aft. So 114 links for 13:48 or 13:49, and 116 links for new 13:50 sprockets and chain.

When you pull the front sprocket off, get some real good pliers and pull out the shaft collar, clean out any dirt and re-grease the o-ring and case seal. :lol:

I've always been under the impression the fifth gear was just added to the existing gearbox?

If that's the case, you have the same first four gears with an added fifth. How could that be worse than just the four?

My understanding is that the first 4 gear ratios are the same with 5th gear on the post

'06 bikes just an added overdrive. I don't see how this would make your '06 any faster or more fun.

Are the sprocket tooth counts the same on both bikes?

That's only the case with the '07.

Every other year after that has a completely different tranny.

That's only the case with the '07.

Every other year after that has a completely different tranny.

Just compared the gear ratios,they are the same for the 2007 and the 2011 kx450f (even same part #)the 06 has different part #s but 2nd thru 4th are the same gear ratios, first is different .

I think the shifting mechanics is different but the gears are the same.

Hope this helps

Ernie

Thanks Gonzo,

I see the '06 has a slightly higher 1st gear ratio. I didn't realize that.

2nd through 4th is the same.