Sign in to follow this  

thinking of defecting

I currently ride a crf 450x with lots of toys, and a 450r that has been setup for motard. I much prefer to play on tight trails, but have problems keeping up with my buddies on their little 2st bikes till it opens back up again. As soon as it does, im easily on their pace or better

I had been considering either a ktm 200, or 250, but my dealer just took in a 2011 300 xcw. In talking to him, he says it is the as good as the smaller bikes, but with more power/speed like my 450's. It has been a real long time since i have ridden a 2t, and i hate to loose the fun factor when you get on the gas hard. also my dealer has been kind of steering me away from the smaller bikes.

For anyone that rides a good 450 also, do you miss anything, power wise with the 300?

and for the guys riding the 200/250, how differnt will it be from the 300 in handling, and power

Thanks

I went right from a CRF450R to a 300XCW ('08) for trail riding and have really liked the change. The weight/feel of the 3hunny is so much nicer when you have to manhandle it in the trails, it feels like a practical feather compared to my 450. While I'm not a WOT all the time guy, I will say that when my XCW gets opened up, seat of the pants feel is similar to what I had from the 450, it'll kick you in the a**. It lugs the trails better than my 450 did too, even at standstill speeds. The Honda would flame bark and die then be a pain to restart, the XCW hasn't failed me yet, and will always start first or second kick, hot or cold. Those were the main reasons I tried the XCW, and now that I have I'll be hard pressed to go back.

I would get a ride on all the sizes if possible and just remember that the power is VERY tunable. If you are drawn to having more HP than you can use and want to stay with something similar to the 450, then the 300 will work. But, if you want a very light bike with good lowend and loves the tight woods environment, try the 200. It is magic in our eastern woods.

The 200 will ride a lot lighter than the 250/300. What it lacks in power it makes up in gearing. I am usually running a gear higher than my friends with bigger bikes. I weigh 245 geared up and the 200 pulls me up hills with no issue. And, it loves to be ridden hard and when doing so you don't have to worry about being spit off into the woods due to whiskey throttle. I haven't been on a more fun bike to ride. As I said though, if you are HP junkie, you may want to look at the bigger bikes.

Ride them as they ride very differently.

Each of the Katooms mentioned would be great bikes. KTM's power delivery are turnable to each riders wants / desires. With the adjustable power valve, and different power valve springs, you can make the 300 tame with linear power, (more four stroke like), to wild kick you in the arse power with all different variation in between...

With the above please keep in mind that riding two bikes of the same year same size, can have vastly different power deliveries. You really need seat time to help with your decision.

I like the big bore bikes, I ride a 300 and love it. To me its the best all do-all bike, but I also love to jump onto a 125. It's the biggest kick in the paints fun. You mentioned you don't want to loose the fun factor... I can tell you a 2 stroke (of any size) only increases the fun factor by 1000% :lol:

I hope my rambling's helped :banghead::)

I've had around 10 450's of varying brands and on my 3rd 300. I can honestly tell you, yes you will miss some of the grunt of the 450 every once in a blue moon, but it's very rare. What you won't miss is the weight/maintenance and overall boring factor that you only become aware of once you're on a 300.

The 300's are just so fun to ride and 95% of the time do it all better, so IMO it's worth the 5% loss and then some!!

I have both crf(2011) and exe200(1999). The 200 is by far the most fun bike to ride, I ride trails and race with mates who have Husabergs 390-450 and crf450r.....I have yet to be left behind. When on the trails I am normally in front right from the start and that's were I stay, at the races I have to chance a little harder, but I eventually get them on the last lap when in the 200 I dint get tired..My2Cents:)

Having ridden 450's in the woods along with a 400 you will love the 300 for all the reasons above.

i've only been on a 400 & a 450 a coupe of times(friends bikes) but never on trails...althuogh they have a ton of hp, i can't imagine dealing w/that kind of weight on the trails! Just the 60lbs difference between my klx 250 & my 200xcw is why the klx doesn't see many trails anymore! love my 09 200xcw! light & nimble like my yz, but puts more power to the ground & the suspension is so sweet!:lol: