Sign in to follow this  

120/100-19 tire on a 250 2 stroke too much?

Do you think that a 120 tire is overkill on a 250 mxer for woods riding?

I was looking for a rear tire for my 2 stroke mxer i use strictly for woods riding.

The dealer recomended a 120-100 19 tire for the riding i did, he said most racers used that size to get more traction.

I found that the increase of rubber made the bike accelleration kind of slowish, and on climbs i used to ride a gear high the bike felt a little bit forced.

On the other hand it made riding on 1st gear possible, on the 110 tire riding on 1st would turn the bike into a digging machine.

The other explanation i think of is that i might have felt the bike kind of forced on climbs because the rear wheel wasnt spinning as much, so it wasn´t reving out.

The bike didnt heat up at the top of this climbs as it did on the previous tire, specially on the previous tire last rides. (i rode it ´till it was almost bald :lol: )

I just switched to a 120 on my CR250 and like it so far. I read the extra mass has a flywheel weight effect in slow down how quick it revs which is what I was after for hare scramble racing.

120/ 100?? Im thinking you mean 120/90/19? Otherwise I only use the 120 for offroad use etc.

Do you think that a 120 tire is overkill on a 250 mxer for woods riding?

I think a lot of it depends on riding style and/or personal preference.

I tried one on my CR, and I liked the increase in traction at times, but I didn't like the added weight/flywheel effect. I'm sure that a gearing change would probably help that, but I never tried it. It could just be me, but I also didn't like the way that the 120 slid in corners.

I used a 110 on my 19". The 120 to me made the bike feel like it wouldnt settle into ruts and wouldnt want to lean over easily. I tried a 115 also and still couldnt get used to it.

I recently started using a 120/80-19 and love it. Some say it hurts your turning, but since I think my talent is the biggest problem with turning, I can't complain.

I use a MX71 with lower pressure and love the traction and feel of a larger footprint.

I recently started using a 120/80-19 and love it. Some say it hurts your turning, but since I think my talent is the biggest problem with turning, I can't complain.

I use a MX71 with lower pressure and love the traction and feel of a larger footprint.

120/80-19 is similar to 110/90-19. But IMO 120/100-19 is going to be too much if stock is 110/90-19. 120/90-19 would be in the middle if you need more traction and dont need a quick turning bike