Sign in to follow this  

2012 for Offroad

Anybody running the 2012 kx450s offroad yet? Like for desert or GPs? What kinda mods are you running and how do you like it?

I have a new '11 set-up for off-road. It's not all that different from the '12, at least in terms of what's needed for off-road.

- Suspension (revalved/sprung). The stock suspension is a bit scary off-road, at speed.

- O-ring chain

- 14/48 for high-speed stuff. 14/50 for tighter stuff like GPs, motocross

- BRP chain guide (must have!)

- Be ready to change the stock chain slide soon (get a TM Designworks if you want one to last)

- IMS 2.7 gallon tank (you hardly notice it!)

- IMS pro series footpegs (stock ones are weak)

- Acerbis skid plate

- Hinson clutch cover

- GPR stabilizer (Scott's will do)

- Burn up the stock tires and switch to the 603/604 (harder compound). I still like a 110 on the rear though and I'd switch to a 80 front tire. Not sure why they come with a 90.

- Bridgestone heavy-duty tubes

- Hand guards (I run the Acerbis Uniko)

- I'm running the new FMF 4.1 RCT w/ Megabomb header, but for high-speed stuff, I'd recommend the Powerbomb for more mid to top

- I have a remapped ECU from Kawaski off-road. It mellows the bottom, changes the advance a bit and has more mid to top. The power delivery is very linear, but I like having the bottom mellowed out a bit for single-track. It's a little lean and I have to run a 50/50 mixture of race gas & pump gas, otherwise it can detonate under a heavy load.

My KX450 is the best bike I've ever owned. Even after setting it up for off-road, I don't notice much of a difference. The weight difference isn't that much. The larger tank is incredibly slim. It's such an awesome all-around bike. I don't change a thing except gearing when I go to the track or ride tight single-track.