Sign in to follow this  

Question on selling CRF 80 Engine

Hello,

I recently got my hands on a 2007 CRF 80F for a good price, only a few hours on the bike, and some fatty endo'd & dented up the rear wheel pretty bad. Anywho, the engine is brand new, only a couple hours, oil looks like new, and air filter looks like new. I wanted to part out the bike, but would like to sell the engine first before starting to sell the other parts...

I listed the engine on local craigslist:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/2704064546.html

& on ebay; yet I was wondering if there was anywhere else I should list it that might get better results? I would rather not part out the engine, just because of overall hassle, and I think it's better complete due to it being almost new...

Any ideas/help would be great!

Thanks

Keep in mind a couple of things from a buyers point of view:

1) If they can't see it's running and can't verify how much it's been run (i.e. can't see the rest of the motorcycle's "pristine" condition), it will be hard to get a premium price. They are taking a risk, regardless on how confident you are that it ran for 3 hours. In fact, your trusting the previous owner about those hours.

2) There is not a great demand for Honda 80 motors. They are darn near bulletproof.

3) You can buy a 07 CRF 80 for between $700 - 800 if you look around. Your asking close to that for something that can't be verified regarding it's internal condition or wear.

4) If you want to make more money on it, you are correct that parting it out is the way to go. At least you can verify it's "as new" condition by it seeing minimal wear.

If you can show some internal parts that are prone to show wear to verify its low hours that would be helpful. Cam wear should be virtually non-existent; Clutch basket should show no notching. The bore should still have factory crosshatching and clean valves. Like I said earlier, it's easier to verify low hours if you parted it out.

Not trying to be critical; I hope you get what you want for it. Just telling you how I'd look at it if I was in the market for an engine.

Good luck,

KDXIdaho

The complete CDI ignition is worth about $150, while the motor is only worth about $200. So sell them seporate. Post a vid of the motor as well.

Fantastic; thank you for all the help. I'll have to re-think my selling scheme...

At this time, I don't have any buyers; so shipping isn't an issue. But ya I was going to drain the oil; lol that would be really funny to ship an engine with oil; have it leak out; and destroy the box ;(

x2 on tearing it down and selling the parts. I have really struggled trying to get two running XR80s for my kids out of a bike and parts package I bought last year, when it seems I could part them out and double or triple the money I spent.

I would suggest doing a search on ebay for active and completed listings for XR/CRF80 components, and then basing your decision on how far to tear it down, what to sell, and how much to ask from what you see there.

If the bike is good other than the rear wheel, you will be amazed at how much the other parts sell for. Yours might be too new to have the demand for the "non-common" parts with previous models, but I know I am amazed by what asking prices are for 85-99 XR80 components.

I might just repiece it & sell it whole; but I don't have the pink atm. It is an unregistered bike (not in the dmv or anything); I'm waiting for the lady that sold it to me to get the pink from the dealer. Someone really screwed up. If anyone wanted to pay me $500 for an unregistered frame; I would be more than happy to sell it :lol:

I don't know how "sensitive" CA is regarding the requirements for having a title for an off-road, non-registered motorcycle, but I cannot believe you could not get at LEAST that much for it as is.

You'll probably double that parting it out.

i've got a set of wheels for sale, $125 plus shipping. brand new street tires, new bearrings, true and all spokes present. bolt on n go