Sign in to follow this  

plug question

so time to buy a new plug, was looking into the iridium plugs. the ngk cr8e(ix) [4218]

the ngk cr8e is [1275]

sparkplug.png

Going to buy it off amazon, but when I do that fitment thing, it says the plug won't fit the drz.:)

http://www.amazon.com/NGK-CR8EIX-Iridium-Spark-Plug/dp/B000VZJ712/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Model=DR-Z400SM|17320&n=15684181&s=automotive&Make=Suzuki|1&Year=2007|2007&vehicleType=motorcycle&newCar=1&carId=002

Is this just amazon's mess up?:lol:

gap set to 0.028 correct?

thanks

A colder plug will lower cylinder temps somewhat. Good for running wide open but in some environments may cause fouling. At least that's my take on it.

I recently changed my plug out and went with iridium. Don't really notice a difference but they are supposed to be much more efficient by producing a much hotter spark. Come to think of it...my last fill up did prove a little more mpg with my riding style unchanged.

A little more MPG I meant to say...but I'm not sure. I will give it a couple more fillups and see.

I just changed my plug twice. The stock plug NGK CR8E looked black. The part store clerk said the CR7E would be hotter (WRONG!). Then the bike had a skip as I accelerated. Today I installed a CR9E the hesitation is gone.

A CR7E plug may be wrong but it is hotter than the standard 8. A CR9E is a colder plug than the 7 or 8.

Spark plug heat range has nothing to do with temperature of the combustion chamber. Just the temperature of the tip of the spark plug.

Iridium plug is not a "hotter" spark. Main benefit is long life. Developed for cars with 100,000 mile plug changes.

Improved fuel mileage may be due more to a new plug than a new iridium plug.