Sign in to follow this  

axle trouble

Hi guys, first post, I have an 2003 yz250f, just bought second hand and givin it some tlc. I am replacing the rear tire and the axle is realy giving me a hard time. Ive used PB blast and it is helping but the axle is just hangin up any suggestions on gettin this bad boy out? thanks for the help

Thread the axle nut back on a few threads and hit it with a hammer while lifting/wiggling the wheel until you get it to move. I then remove the nut and use a long socket extension or punch, and hammer to pound it the rest of the way out. The nut on the axle will keep the threads of the axle bolt from being damaged while pounding. If you are worried about possibly damaging the nut, lay a small piece of 2X4 over the top of the nut. If it's really siezed up in there good, might want to let it soak over night in PB plaster. Sometimes it's easier to lay the bike on its side to get more leverage.

Be extremely wary of hammering on the threaded end of axle. It's very easy to flare this end. The best way to keep this from happening in your situation is go and buy a set of brass punches. Since the brass is softer than the axle, it won't harm the axle.

Do this after you've soaked it in PB blaster.

FYI: a replacement axle is expensive. The brass punch goes well in your toolbox.

Be extremely wary of hammering on the threaded end of axle. It's very easy to flare this end. The best way to keep this from happening in your situation is go and buy a set of brass punches. Since the brass is softer than the axle, it won't harm the axle.

Do this after you've soaked it in PB blaster.

FYI: a replacement axle is expensive. The brass punch goes well in your toolbox.

That's why the nut is still on there, screwed on a few threads, to prevent flaring or damage to threads. I've never damaged an axle or swingarm bolt this way.

Maybe I should have added:

Don't just blindly pound away at it, without keeping an eye on what is going on with the axle.

OldnBold-thanks for the tip on the brass punch. Looks like I need to add something else to my tool box! :lol:

thanks guys, ive hit this thing up with pb blast about ten times now and its definately starting to work it self, still moving about an inch then its getting hung up, Is heat an option? I dont want to replace the bearings, already got a new axle,blocks,and nut. have not tried laying bike over.

Before you start beating on the axle take Swede 73 advice and get some Aeroil Kroil Oil, some industrial supplies carry it or you can get it direct from Aeroil Kroil direct. It is fantastic stuff. Lay the bike on it side and spray the area around the axile it is the best pentriant out there. Also check thst your swing arm bolt is not frozen, if it is use the Kroil oil. Another trick is to get as much oil in there around the axile and ride the bike the vibration will help the Kroil work.

thanks guys, ive hit this thing up with pb blast about ten times now and its definately starting to work it self, still moving about an inch then its getting hung up, Is heat an option? I dont want to replace the bearings, already got a new axle,blocks,and nut. have not tried laying bike over.

If it's moving about an inch then soak both sides of the axle after it's in an inch then pound it back. Then do it again and again. Keep doing this to get the PB blaster worked inside further. If you lay the bike on its side it should take any downward pressure off the wheel and allow you to wiggle the wheel to keep the axle from binding up. (Not sure if it's on a stand or on the ground)

If your axle is that seized up you will most likely need new bearings as well.

Heat is an option, but I don't think it's necessary if you already got it moving.