Sign in to follow this  

Build a ttr or buy a ssr?

I just bought a '09 ttr50 for 250 dollars. Im looking to race at like 2 or 3 events a year and generally just play around on it. Should i spend the money to build up this ttr or just sell it and get a ssr140 or something like that. It seems like its going to cost nearly 2k to get the ttr to where I want it realistically. Getting it for 250 was a great deal though so atleast starting out cheap.

You wont find much to build with for TTR50 or any TTR

If you going to build consider KLX110

For Pit bikes look at SSR150TX-2 , very good value right now

I found one inch longer fork legs, fork springs for my weight, works connection shock with spring for my weight, big bar kit, 107cc big bore kit with head, cam and carb and a few other things and it added up to about 1400 it seemed like that was a good start. I forget what website it was but it was a mini website. Id love the ssr but I also think its fun building it yourself. With those parts i listed Im sure the ttr would be fun.

Good luck with your build , hopefully they still have the parts you require.

I have had numerous customers call looking for the 107cc pistons and rings after searching high and low

but were only every able to buy a whole new 107cc kit when they only needed new rings.

the TTR is such a good little bike...too bad that there is not too much aftermarket (or ever was for a reasonable price) available for them anymore.....if you want to build a bike (Japanese) with some aftermarket parts support, go Kawi or Honda....if your on a budget and want the most bang for the buck...go Chinese

Yeah thats my 1 and only problem w/ the crf and klx is it costs a small fortune to get them decked,or atleast comfortable to ride.

I have an old,but was sweet in its day SSR that I blinged w/ china parts and a lifan 125.Seems pretty good,only had it out once tho.We'll see how it holds up this weekend.

Got $550 into it including all Piranha

heavy duty straight peg mount

wide pegs

billet shifter

fake asv levers

tall seat

Tag bars

CDI box

FMF exhaust on the way,so another $129

Figure a good swingarm for a jap bike is gonna be $3-400,I just cant do that.

Sell the TTR for lack of available parts and get a CRF or KLX if you have the $$$,if not SSR.

I cant justify putting $3gs into a pit,Id get a CRF250x