Sign in to follow this  

California Teaching son to ride, where should we go?

He's never ridden before, we need a flat open space to learn on. I'm in Santa Clarita, closer would be better.

You could try Rowher Flats. It has a flat staging area and some wide, fairly smooth dirt roads. Plus it is close to you. Otherwise, there is El Mirage Dry Lake.

You could try Rowher Flats. It has a flat staging area and some wide, fairly smooth dirt roads. Plus it is close to you. Otherwise, there is El Mirage Dry Lake.

Thanks Gflo. :lol: I'll check into them.

Rowher Flats staging area #1, seen lots of kids learning to ride out there, Saturdays are much better then sundays btw.

what kind of bike did you get him? Been wanting to maybe pick up a used Honda CRF50 for my daughter, but the wife is BIKE BLOCKING us, lol.

As suggested before, El Mirage offers a much bigger learning area. The dry lake bed is great for learning to go through the gears and get comfortable with stopping/holding in the clutch. Make sure you go to the far end of the lake bed. Don't park up front with all the "street cars":smirk:

+1 on El Mirage... taught all 3 of my kids there and the ex wife. only other thing i would suggest is to get off the lake bed after a few rides under their belts to help them continue their skill improvements. i noticed my two youngers kids were using the lake bed as a security blanket and had to teach them that the bushes dont hurt and the loose dirt is ok to ride on... lol

always fun to teach the next generation!! :lol:

As suggested before, El Mirage offers a much bigger learning area. The dry lake bed is great for learning to go through the gears and get comfortable with stopping/holding in the clutch. Make sure you go to the far end of the lake bed. Don't park up front with all the "street cars":smirk:

He's never ridden before, we need a flat open space to learn on. I'm in Santa Clarita, closer would be better.

Hey Roger, did you finally get a truck or trailer for your bikes? Suggest Cal City for learning, lots of open spaces where no one will be near you.

Jack

Rowher Flats staging area #1, seen lots of kids learning to ride out there, Saturdays are much better then sundays btw.

what kind of bike did you get him? Been wanting to maybe pick up a used Honda CRF50 for my daughter, but the wife is BIKE BLOCKING us, lol.

Thanks 150ron. Haha bike blocking. My boy will be riding my DRZ. He's over 6' tall at 15yo.

As suggested before, El Mirage offers a much bigger learning area. The dry lake bed is great for learning to go through the gears and get comfortable with stopping/holding in the clutch. Make sure you go to the far end of the lake bed. Don't park up front with all the "street cars"

Thanks kenshaw720. Good info.

+1 on El Mirage... taught all 3 of my kids there and the ex wife. only other thing i would suggest is to get off the lake bed after a few rides under their belts to help them continue their skill improvements. i noticed my two youngers kids were using the lake bed as a security blanket and had to teach them that the bushes dont hurt and the loose dirt is ok to ride on... lol

always fun to teach the next generation!!

Thanks DirtRiderDad. More good info..

Hey Roger, did you finally get a truck or trailer for your bikes? Suggest Cal City for learning, lots of open spaces where no one will be near you.

Hi Jack! No, a buddy has agreed to lend me his P/U for a day.

If you go to Rowher Flats, go past the first staging area and just stay on the main road as it wraps around the area til you get to the third staging area. It's surrounded by very flat ground and very few people go all the way to the third staging area. Lots of visibility,too. On a week day you might have the place to yourself.

El Mirage is joker central unless you go on a weekday. I'd go to Cuddeback Dry Lake. It's usually pretty much knucklehead free (even on weekends) and provides opportunies to branch out on to some easier trails.

My older kids learned on Calico Dry Lake and my youngest on Cuddeback. I would not do anything differently if I had to do it again.

Tim

El Mirage is joker central unless you go on a weekday. I'd go to Cuddeback Dry Lake. It's usually pretty much knucklehead free (even on weekends) and provides opportunies to branch out on to some easier trails.

My older kids learned on Calico Dry Lake and my youngest on Cuddeback. I would not do anything differently if I had to do it again.

Tim

yea... +1 on Cuddeback Dry Lake as El Mirage would be crowded and charges a fee to enter. Cuddeback is Free. Cal city is good too, abit closer, but not as flat and smooth as the lakebed.

I took my kids to California City. Its about 90 miles from Santa Clarita and you have lots of space to ride. THere's open areas and some easy to navigate trails.