Sign in to follow this  

puking oil into the airbox

My 2000 XR650R is stock except for the Honda power-up kit. I rebuilt the engine last year after the cam chain broke. The cylinder and piston looked good and were within tolerance, so I just put in new rings and gaskets. Now, under severe load, like when climbing a long steep sandy hill, I get lots of oil dumping into the airbox. I literally have to wring out the oil or the bike won't run. Are there any easy solutions (PCV etc.) or is it time to open it up again and look at things like rings, piston or soemthing else?

The dipstick shows that the oil level is fine, but that's in the frame. Is there somewhere else to check?

I dont know about the 650 but my 600 has an oil check bolt on the case.

You're checking the oil with the engine hot and within 10-20 seconds of turning off the engine right? If measuring when cold, you'll overfill. Also, check the crankcase vent line. If it gets pinched between the seat and airbox or subframe, oil will puke out of something somewhere. And have a read over this. http://www.xr650r.us/issues/4.shtml

It sounds like you're getting compression in the crankcase and it's causing oil to be blown out into the airbox. Might be time to do the cylinder, new piston and rings.

:lol:

Ditto. do,or have done,a cylinder leakdown test.

But try this first,drain ALL the oil and measure how much came out.

Dipstick is not screwed in to measure.., Take the bike for a 3 minute ride..,Stop the bike,,Undo dipstick,,wipe with rag..,insert dipstick and measure,.,Above half and below full is good,,Below,,add oil,,Rerun,,remeasure,,It doesn't take much oil added to get from half to full,,quater pint or thereabouts..,Go easy when adding,,don't want the thing overfull or the stuff starts blowing out various pipes,,