Sign in to follow this  

steering stem bearings

Replacing the clapped out ones on the 150F. I know the bottom needs to be pressed off, how do you press them back on without damage?

Thanks,

FP

Have whoever press the old one off press the new one on. You knew that was coming!!!!!

Back on is the easy part, getting the old one off is the hard part because of the difficulty of getting anvils under the bearing. Easiest is to take the triple and new bearing to an automotive machine shop that has a press. I usually use a Dremel cut off wheel to cut two slots (180 apart) almost thru the bearing and use a cold chisel to split it off.

Use a pipe to that fits over the stem to press on the new one. Putting the triple in a freezer for a few hours and the bearing in a 250F oven for thirty minutes helps. But first dry run handling the parts wearing oven mitts.

Honda sells the complete bearing for $25 but if you only need the outer race for the steering head try a bearing shop, it is a standard metric bearing. Also replace the dust seal.

Thanks guys. I have a press and you are right, getting the anvils under the bearing looked to be a chore. The Dremel is a great idea. I was going to replace everything bearing wise, it looks as if it was only ever ridden in a swamp. I picked the bike up for a song, but man, she was abused!

FP