Sign in to follow this  

Finding TDC 06 450exc??? Valve Check

Hey everyone,

First off, YES, I did use the search tool, but I didnt find anything that coherently fit what I am looking for...My 06 450exc is having idle issues and I have deducted it down to possibly a valve issue (won't idle while cold, then once warm the idle will fluctuate up and down). I have found everything I need to on how to check and set the valve clearences EXCEPT how to get the bike into the correct stroke of TDC...

If someone could tell me how to get the bike to TDC or even a link to a clearly written write up I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Use the TDC locater. There is a bolt on the RH side of the lower part of the engine with a thick Brass washer on it. Remove the bolt & use a torch to look into there. Rotate the engine ( easier with the plug out ) and you will see the locater hole in the crank, when it lines up insert the bolt back in WITHOUT the washer & it will lock the crank at TDC. Do the valves then remove the locating bolt re-insert the bolt WITH the washer. All done

Note the locater bolt should bottom out on the washer surface, if it gets tight before that then it is not lined up with the crank ( eg Not on TDC )

• Like 1

Use the TDC locater. There is a bolt on the RH side of the lower part of the engine with a thick Brass washer on it. Remove the bolt & use a torch to look into there. Rotate the engine ( easier with the plug out ) and you will see the locater hole in the crank, when it lines up insert the bolt back in WITHOUT the washer & it will lock the crank at TDC. Do the valves then remove the locating bolt re-insert the bolt WITH the washer. All done

I would recommend not trying to find TDC as suggested here. First of all, there is a 50% chance that you will be at the wrong TDC.

I suggest that you use the method as outlined in Travis' video. It is much more foolproof, along with the 1/6 turn technique.

Agree with Chas_M unless you are skilled on the RFS. I use the TDC method, however as mentioned there are pitfalls. Proper TDC (take plug out & observe valve action) - The lock bolt can be very tricky to get in the proper location. The edge of the crank web is near the slot so the lock can be screwed in but not in the actual slot. I remove the flywheel cover and put a socket and breaker bar on the retainer nut so that I can precisely position the crank. The valve train will attempt to roll the crank so you have to hold and position it at TDC while locking the web. After this make sure that the crank is locked in both rotational directions. See why Travis's method is popular?

You don't mention how many hours are on the engine. Take an eye on the intakes - much adjustment left ? Are the valve retainer collars touching the rocker arms ?

Bokrijder