Sign in to follow this  

VCHSS class?

Ok so I'm really slow. Like I dont even know why I want to race, but I do. I want to try a few VCHSS races if not the season coming up, the season after that. My question is what class to race and what bike mods do I need? Im 16 (IDK if age plays a part) and ride a '04 CRF 250X, its stock other than graphics and white bros XCR exhaust. Also, will my bike make it all the way without a pit stop for gas? Do you even do pit stops in VCHSS? Can I get a rekluse, is that legal, it seems like it would be cheating to me... I have a camelbak, does that go over or under my chest protector? I dont know these things, but I sure do want to, and I want to race. Ive never raced anything, other than RC cars, but I love it. Help please???

oh yeah, i forgot to mention ive only been riding since march. But, before that I rode mountain bikes, so I can ride trails, just not completely used to doing it on a motorcycle though.

As for class, four stroke C would be what you want.

The only mods you NEED are metal (not plastic) handguards. There should be no need for a pit stop. Yes a rekluse is legal. The camel back can go over or under, whatever is more comfortable (I prefer over myself)

You're also going to want a skid plate for your bike as well.

And I'd test the mileage you can get out of your tank. Nothing worse than running out of gas in the middle of a race while you're doing well.

you'll do fine on a stock tank of gas, I rode a 450x before I sold it to get a KTM and never came close to running out.

This was my first year racing, here's things I kew before I started:

I needed barkbusters, skidplate, camelback, fitness and I knew it would be humbling.

Things I learned:

Cut bars down to 30" or less (I went 29.6")

Harescrambles can be one of the most grueling physical events you'll ever compete in (I'm not obese nor rockstar fit but I've played collegiate and men's rugby since 97 and was taken by how tough it was)

You'll become a better rider every race you enter

your goal the first race should be just to finish

VCHSS has some of the best sportsmanship I've ever been witness to, awesome group of people

There are alot of VCHSS vets on here, and like many of them told me, you will have a blast, you will be challenged, and you'll become addicted!

you'll do fine on a stock tank of gas, I rode a 450x before I sold it to get a KTM and never came close to running out.

This was my first year racing, here's things I kew before I started:

I needed barkbusters, skidplate, camelback, fitness and I knew it would be humbling.

Things I learned:

Cut bars down to 30" or less (I went 29.6")

Harescrambles can be one of the most grueling physical events you'll ever compete in (I'm not obese nor rockstar fit but I've played collegiate and men's rugby since 97 and was taken by how tough it was)

You'll become a better rider every race you enter

your goal the first race should be just to finish

VCHSS has some of the best sportsmanship I've ever been witness to, awesome group of people

There are alot of VCHSS vets on here, and like many of them told me, you will have a blast, you will be challenged, and you'll become addicted!

What they said.

Additionally, I would start working on cardio and getting as much seat time as possible between now and March. Make sure you have your bikes suspension set up for you also ie. race sag/spring weight understanding Comp/rebound settings are very important. You may think you want to race 250C, but IMO stick with 4stroke C. You will have plenty of competition in either class, but 4sC is generally a smaller class. Do not expect to win the first time out, just focus on staying smooth and on both wheels. Time on the ground adds up quickly and wears you down. If it is going to be a mud race and you hear people bad mouthing mud races, stick with it and go anyways. Some of the best races of the 2011 season were muddy.

As previously stated, the amount of sportsmanship in the VCHSS is unreal. It really is like a big family, someone will always help you out in a bind.