How to identify stainless steel filter

This sounds like a silly questions but I just got this bike and I have a cracked side case by the starter. I got a used one off ebay and it came with a filter that I thought was stainless steel, it is not paper and has blue rubber end caps. When I pulled the original case off my bike out came the same filter with blue end caps. I tried to clean both filters in gas but they still have a few slight metal burs in them. Now I'm thinking these are the stock filters with some kind of nylon media instead of paper. I have a KLR and owned several XRs so I know what a regular paper filter looks like. These are not paper. I should have posted pictures but if the stocker has blue end caps I can toss them. Thanks!

Could be Stainless or Brass - either is reusable.

Try blowing the outside of the filter with compressed air - along the surface not into the surface since the bits are caught on the outside and filtered oil goes back to your engine through the inside of the filter.

A few small bits caught in the mesh are no problem.

If there are metal bits in the filter, just put in a new one. If you buy a few at a time, they cost around $4.
Much agreed. That's why i still choose to use paper. I use 2 oil filters a month and i feel better just throwing away anything that could possibly be caught, and starting a new.

Much agreed. That's why i still choose to use paper. I use 2 oil filters a month and i feel better just throwing away anything that could possibly be caught, and starting a new.

Yea, trying to clean one in gasoline is a real PIA. I would never buy stainless. It kind of reminds me of the K&N air filter in my truck. Sometimes I feel like tossing it instead of cleaning and oiling once a year.

Good SS filters have better filtering performance. Flow and the size of particles caught is better than paper filters.

Cleaning is easy. I hose mine down with brakleen and then blow it out with compressed air from the inside. Done

It's normal to have small bits on the filter because the clutch in sitting in the oil.

I've seen them around 4 dollars before. Don't remember where or what brand though. The problem is the cheapest ones are... well... the cheapest! With a wet clutch, even if your engine is in good working order you'll get crap in the oil. When the piston is flying up and down at 12000 times a minute - that's 20 times a second!? Any tiny little chunk that floats through your filter could make it's way up and start eroding your cylinder wall or cams or... The damage per stroke is insignificant, but at high rpms insignificant can start adding up over the hours!

There's also something nice about the SS filters. They even just feel nice in your hand! I guess if you're one of those high speed, low drag guys the only downside other than the price is the slight increase of weight. But if you're counting grams you probably have your engine rebuilt for you after every ride anyway!?