Sign in to follow this  

1985 XR80 Kickstart Lever

Hi all! I don't post much, but y'all have been very helpful to a guy trying to get some bikes running for his kids.

I bought a package deal of three XR80s and four engines. I got a 1985 with what appears to be the OE engine, a 1986 and what appears to be the OE engine for it, a 1993 and what appears to be the OE engine for it, and then a complete 1994 engine.

The 1985 XR80 was complete except for the carb, I tried to use one of the ebay Runtong carbs to get it running, bur ended up buying several used and one NOS Keihins off ebay. I think I have three PC20Bs and one PC20M, and right now I have a PC20B on it with a 95 main that I think will work.

My next problem came when I tried to change the kickstart lever. The bike came with a butchered lever, with the bottom splined section welded to another splined clamping end , giving the kickstart lever offset by the 3/4 inch or so of the rigged bottom end. Because the swingout part did not want to return and stay out of the way, I wanted to change to the correct, original lever without the previous owner added offset.

Now, the correct kickstart lever is hitting the rear brake pedal assembly. I have the correct XR80 lever for my model, and I checked that the kickstart was common across all 1985 and up models.

I noticed that the 1985 and 1986 engines have shorter kickstart shaft than the 1993 and 1994 engines.

Is this a common problem (kick lever hitting brake pedal rod lever), and is there a common fix? I can obviously reinstall the jury-rigged lever, and then maybe tack a split washer or something above the spring, to make the fold out part stay folded in while riding.

I just wanted to see if there is something I am missing. Both the 93 chassis and 86 chassis I got have the rear brake pedal assembled the same way, and nothing on the 85 appears bent. It doesn't seem right that the kickstart lever is so close as to interfere with the rear brake linkage.

I can post a pick if that would help.

TIA!

Eric

No ideas? I guess maybe I am the only one or something isn't installed correctly. I will post a pic later to see if anyone can see what I may have wrong.

Post a picture. I may be able to help figure it out. My son rides a 1986 XR80.

OK fine, I'll post a pic of my son's bike. Maybe you can see the difference between what you have and this one that functions correctly:

DSCF1973.jpg

DSCF1972.jpg

I hope this helps.

Ours looks exactly the same, far as I can tell.

85_XR80R_kick5.jpg

85_XR80R_Kick2.jpg

85_XR80R_Kick1.jpg

When I brought the load 'o bikes home, the 85 was wearing this "modified" kick lever, which cleared the rear brake easily.

modified_kick2.jpg

But, because the top ring is missing, the top fold out will not stay in place while riding. Looks like someone tried to tack a new ring on, but failed.

top_of_modified_kick.jpg

Now the 1993 model and 1994 engine have longer kick shafts, and everything fits and works better.

93_XR80R_kick1.jpg

93_XR80R_kick2.jpg

So, unless I am missing something looking at the 85 model above, I guess I will just have to try to bend the top of the rear brake arm in a bit, or heat and bend the kick lever a bit, to get enough clearance to be able to kickstart it.

That, or try again to tack a top washer/retainer on that jury-rigged lever that was on the bike, so that the top won't keep swinging out into my son's leg while riding.

Am I missing something here??

Your kick lever appears to be mounted pretty deep onto the shaft in the 'problem' pics. The kicker should be almost flush with the shaft; in your pick it appears to be mounted about 3/16" deep. Also, you're one tooth back on the spline. Kick shaft and associated components did not change between 1985 and 1994.

It is also plausible that the bottom end has been apart and monkeyed up.

Ours looks exactly the same, far as I can tell.

I think that your kickstart shaft looks shorter than the one on my son's '86. It's kind of hard to tell by the pictures, but I would venture to guess that someone installed the wrong kickstart shaft in that engine. Otherwise, everything else looks identical. If it was my bike, I'd probably just try to make the modified kicker work like you said.

Your kick lever appears to be mounted pretty deep onto the shaft in the 'problem' pics. The kicker should be almost flush with the shaft; in your pick it appears to be mounted about 3/16" deep. Also, you're one tooth back on the spline. Kick shaft and associated components did not change between 1985 and 1994.

The pics with the exposed shaft beyond the lever is my son's bike, and it works fine. I just posted those pictures so the OP would have something to compare to.

The pics with the exposed shaft beyond the lever is my son's bike, and it works fine. I just posted those pictures so the OP would have something to compare to.

Doh! Engage brain then mouth. Well, your kicker looks like it's set too deeply on the shaft then. In the OP's pic, there appears to be an obvious difference in kick shaft length; something is not as it seems. What is the serial number of the engine? It's located near to the gear shift shaft. I'd suspect the engine is 1984 or older.

• Like 1

i have 2 identical 85 xr80r engines. one has a short kickstart shaft and the other has a longer kickstart shaft. i measured the difference and its about 1/4 inch difference. not sure exactly why this is. i have searched high and low and still have not found a positive answer. i made a mod similar to what u have with the extended kickstart lever and just deal with it. its better than thed lever hitting brake lever.