Sign in to follow this  

Put my 530 EXC on a diet

I haven't found much in the way of weight saving mods for the bigger EXC's. As she sits, she's about 12-15 lbs heavier than her 505 cousin. So I'd like to put her on a diet. She is already de-smogged.

So far all I've got is replacing the Battery for a Turntech 5 amp for a weight saving of 2 lbs.

Anyone else?

Twin chambered forks are about 1lbs lighter each. They work better too. Some have put Showa forks on which are even lighter than the WP.

Ti shock spring, hard to find though.

As was mentioned tires, some are a lot heavier than others.

Skid plates, hand guards, shark fins and the like all add weight. How much protection do you need. Small gas tank, less fuel weight, only works if the rides are short though.

The real issues is that even if you get the 530 to the same weight it is never going to feel as light as the 505. It has a great big heavy crank turning a much bigger circle (72mm vs 64.3mm). There are people who lighten the crank, I think they remove over a kilogram, which makes the bike feel a lot lighter as well as making it lighter. Problem is I think it lightens your wallet the most.

Have you looked in to replacing your tubes with tu bliss they save some weight and I found they make tyre changing easier