Sign in to follow this  

Case Saver

Hey Guys. This weekend my chain snapped. It brooke the OEM metal case saver and poked a hole in the case:banghead:. The hole is not that big, so I will try to JB weld it to see how it goes. I just wanted to ask what aftermarket case saver I should get. I only saw moose available. Or should I get the OEM metal part, because the plastic piece did not break. The bike is 2006 RM250.

THANKS

Moose , makes one.......but you don't use the plastic guard anymore.

I have the moose.........because the PO......was riding without one.

An obvious point , buy/use a quality chain......and keep it adjusted.

I use tag metal sprockets instead of renthals.......rear sprockets last alot longer.

out

Honestly, I would just take the whole bike to a welder and have them weld it up. Probably only cost 20 or 30 bucks and it will last to forever and would be stronger the JB weld. But that IMO :)

good luck :lol: you could also see if you could ebay one to replace it with and OEM.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-RM-125-250-OEM-Case-Saver-96-97-98-99-00-01-02-03-04-05-06-07-08-/260877085382?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cbd7c6ac6

Thanks guys. This was just my second ride on the new to me bike and I was ready to tear it down for winter maintanence and repair. Lesson learned I guess. I usually buy quality chains and keep it clean and lubed. The chain on the bike looked like it needed to be replaced ASAP, but I did not think it would snap. I tore down the cylinder and the piston had a crack on it. I guess the chain snapping kept me from replating a cylinder and other damage.

As far as ebay, I am ordering a piston kit and it would be cheaper for me to buy a brand new part then the one on ebay with shipping.

I would also love to weld the case, but I am not even sure who to ask. I live in Brooklyn, NY and I am sure there are plenty of welders, but the search online brings up mostly Iron Works Shops that do window gates and stuff.

Edited by drmcook

It has been my experience in the past, calling some shops that can't do it might know of another shop that can. so give one of the welders a call and ask them if they can and most likely they will point you in the write direction. it doesn't have to be a bike shop just a good welder.

It has been my experience in the past, calling some shops that can't do it might know of another shop that can. so give one of the welders a call and ask them if they can and most likely they will point you in the write direction. it doesn't have to be a bike shop just a good welder.

Thanks for the advice. I just called one shop and they said that they don't do it, but suggested another. I called the other shop, and they told me to bring the whole bike in if I want. The shop is 10 minutes away from my house. He did not state the prices however.

cool, like I said no bigger hole than what you described shouldn't be but around 20-30 dollars. Let us know what happens :lol:

Thanks. I will probably take it in to the shop in early December. I will post pictures of before and after. I will bring just the crankase to the shop because the rest of the bike is already apart anyway. New topend and OEM case saver are on the way from Motosport.

Honestly, I would just take the whole bike to a welder and have them weld it up. Probably only cost 20 or 30 bucks and it will last to forever and would be stronger the JB weld. But that IMO :)

good luck :lol: you could also see if you could ebay one to replace it with and OEM.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-RM-125-250-OEM-Case-Saver-96-97-98-99-00-01-02-03-04-05-06-07-08-/260877085382?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cbd7c6ac6

Good luck with that one. Isn't the case made of magnesium? If it is aluminum then welding on it in place would be tough with the oil in the engine and all, not to mention all the sparkies going inside the engine. Do what you want though. Have you tried this welding idea before or just trying to help????

Reporting back. Got the case welded. Cost me $40 and it was well worth it. Took the whole bottom end to the guy and he did it on the spot. He also guarantees his work and said that he guarantees that it will not leak. Will take pictures later.

Reporting back. Got the case welded. Cost me $40 and it was well worth it. Took the whole bottom end to the guy and he did it on the spot. He also guarantees his work and said that he guarantees that it will not leak. Will take pictures later.

Awesome :lol:

Good luck with that one. Isn't the case made of magnesium? If it is aluminum then welding on it in place would be tough with the oil in the engine and all, not to mention all the sparkies going inside the engine. Do what you want though. Have you tried this welding idea before or just trying to help????

Hummm!!

It was DID standard chain. I believe that it was the original that came with the bike. It looked very old, and the sprockets were worn out. My mistake for not taking care of it right away. I just wanted to ride the last weekend of the season.:lol:

It was DID standard chain. I believe that it was the original that came with the bike. It looked very old, and the sprockets were worn out. My mistake for not taking care of it right away. I just wanted to ride the last weekend of the season.:lol:

i guess even the japanese chains can snap too. just curious what was your gearing? and do you still have the old sprockets? im looking for an old used set of 13-50 teeth just to test out that ratio before finalizing my pick and buying new sprockets. either if you can please let me know,

thanks much

I still have the old sprockets but the gearing on those was 13-48 done by previous owner. I guess it had to much snap for him. I got 13-50 for it now.

I still have the old sprockets but the gearing on those was 13-48 done by previous owner. I guess it had to much snap for him. I got 13-50 for it now.

i thought the bigger rear sprocket would give the bike more snap (harder hitting powerband) right? do you plan on throwing out the old sprockets? if so i would be interested in the 13 counter sprocket only. i currently have 14-49 and want to try 13-49 with my old chain and rear sprocket before buying new ones. either way can you please let me know, thanks much

Any chance you could post a pic of the welding? I've always been curious to see what a welded engine case looks like to get an idea of how they do it without taking the motor apart.

i thought the bigger rear sprocket would give the bike more snap (harder hitting powerband) right? do you plan on throwing out the old sprockets? if so i would be interested in the 13 counter sprocket only. i currently have 14-49 and want to try 13-49 with my old chain and rear sprocket before buying new ones. either way can you please let me know, thanks much

What type of riding do you do? If for mx I would suggest running 13-50 or whatever came stock. 14 front with 49 would take a lot from the bottom end.

My sprocket is beyond worn out. The previous owner did not bother aligning the rear wheel. I would not suggest running it even to test because it might ruin your chain. You could get a fairly cheap front sprocket under $20.

What type of riding do you do? If for mx I would suggest running 13-50 or whatever came stock. 14 front with 49 would take a lot from the bottom end.

My sprocket is beyond worn out. The previous owner did not bother aligning the rear wheel. I would not suggest running it even to test because it might ruin your chain. You could get a fairly cheap front sprocket under $20.

i do mostly trail riding and woods riding... thats what i want to try is 13-50. my chain is totally shot so i dont mind a very worn counter sprocket. id pay you for the shipping too. it'd only be like 2 bucks or so...