Sign in to follow this  

R cam in a X

hey guys, i have a 09450x was reading (on this forum lol) that a R cam really wakes them up. i had a 04 CRF450R that i dearly miss the power of... what cam can i use to get anywhere near the power?

I came off of a 06 CRF450R and just got a new 09 CRF450X a few months back. After jetting and the air box mods, I installed a 08 R cam. That and an after market exhaust, I am very close the the power of my R. The ignition shuts down a bit earlier, not allowing it to rev as high, however, the power is so much better overall than my R.

You can only use the cam from an '08 R.

In '09, the R became FI, and is completely different. In '07, the decompressor system changed from the '02 thru '06, and in '08 it changed again. That should make the choice simple!

It is a very noticeable improvement to get the R cam.

In '09, the R became FI, and is completely different. In '07, the decompressor system changed from the '02 thru '06, and in '08 it changed again. That should make the choice simple!

Not entirely true... you can use the '07R cam in your X however you'll also have to get the cam sprocket from the '07R as well, all the rest is the same...

Do you lose anything? Does the R cam run as well at low rpm as the stock X cam?

I have an 06 450x can I only run an 06 450R cam in my bike. Also is it hard starting starting, any draw backs to the R cam.

I'm running a ProCircuit T-4 system. To be honest, I forgot what jetting I am running. I bought the stage 3 kit from Precision Concepts. It came with the jet kit, 08 R Cam, and instructions on how to cut the air box. My 06 CRF450R was faster than my brothers 07 YZ450F and now my X is faster than his bike. And I have electric start, lights, and few extra pounds :lol:

By the way, the swap was extremely easy. With the kit from Precision Concepts, I didn't have one issue and the bike runs like it was made that way from the factory.

The 08 is a direct swap. You can get more power out of a 02 R Cam, however, you will have to replace more parts like the cam carrier from the 02.

So should I get the 08R cam then, is that the cam I should use to get the most gain

If you have an '06, and want a direct swap, you have to use an '02 thru '06 cam.

Lots of people like the '02 cam for top end and desert. It wasn't my favorite.

Even the supposedly mellow '05 cam is a great performance boost for a bolt in.

I have an 06 450x can I only run an 06 450R cam in my bike. Also is it hard starting starting, any draw backs to the R cam.

You can run any cam from '02 to '06. However you can run the '07R cam if you change the cam carrier, decompressor system and cam sprocket. I did and it's great! No drawbacks to the R cams except the price. If you do go that route, make sure to buy a New OEM cam, don't buy a used cam from anyone or off Ebay. You may get ripped off, because there are no ID markings on Honda OEM cams, only on the packaging:bonk:

I'm pretty sure if you run a cam from 02-06 you will have to change the cam carrier and decompressor system as well. I think the 08 is the only direct swap. I just used the jetting supplied in the kit from Precision Concepts. They claim is good from sea level to 7000 feet. I ride around 3000 feet above sea level and it has been perfect.

The '08 R cam is plenty good, probably gives you 3.5-5 HP, and is available online and probably on this site for about $142. A huge bang for the buck.

Run a 165 main anywhere near sea level, and you'll be fine.