Sign in to follow this  

BEST 250's

I'm going to be upgrading from my cr134 to a 250 soon. Not to sure what bike to get? If i could get some input from you guys on what 2stroke & 4stroke 250's are good & what 250's to stay away from that would be great! I ride half trails & half track.THANKS!!:lol:

half trails, no brainer, ktm/gasgas/husqvarna

I would stay away from the mx bikes unless you got lots of money to mod them into one of the 3 I listed

crf250r. check out this link. read what i wrote. take note the fact that it is probably the most popular bike in my class. there is reason behind that. its a great bike. this is what it takes to get these bike to a woods bike..not a lot...and youd have everything and more than you ever asked for =]]

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1026721&highlight=

I wouldnt want to kick a crf250r in the woods, but we did have a crf250x we liked

maintenance and valve wear on them sucks, that's why I sold it

I wouldnt want to kick a crf250r in the woods, but we did have a crf250x we liked

maintenance and valve wear on them sucks, that's why I sold it

what year did you have? the 04-05 head was terrible 06-07 got better and anything after 08 is great. if you have anything older than 08 i recomend either stainless valves or berilium copper seats on the intake side. crf250r does not kick hard! i can start mine with my hand...litteraly

I had an 06

I dont like kicking them, I had to kick start our X a few times, the battery was weak and did not work well when cold, my knee cant take that kinda abuse

crf250x lacked power compared to the r model mostly had to do with the camshaft and valves bad move for honda they should have had the 08 cam in every model crf250. the decomp mechanism in the 08 cam should have been modded some though. it kicks really easy but not unlike the 04-05 it took a few kicks 04-05 just a bad head design, 08 the more radical cam needed a different decompression mechanism, a simple fix just shave a little off the back side of the decomp lobe so it allows the cam ex. valves to close back up quicker. it will give you the same initial decomp. then bring you back up to full compression quicker, you will not notice the bike kicking any harder because at that point you have the momentum and more likely than not the bike is already running. i could walk through every single model ktm/gas gas/huskie/husaberg and tear the manufacture to bits just like honda can be for their mistakes. with the crf250r your getting a lighter bike with more power than you would any woods 250f and they are just as reliable if not more so. plus when they do break as every bike does, the parts are available....advantage to being one of the most popular bikes.

if your knee cant take the abuse of kicking a crf250r you shouldnt be on a bike...its clearly broken :lol::)

crf250r cam in a crf250x will take away bottom end power, something I would not do for woods use

as for the knee comment, I dont really care if you think that

it will give you a lot more mid to high and almost no difference in the low end move your shift points about 500rpms...if you find yourself having trouble with this add a tooth on the rear sprocket

uhh this is a thread about the best bike for someone who wants a 50/50 trail track bike, not honduhs:bonk:

To the OP- I'd go with a KTM.

Easy, KTM GasGas or Husky, but a KTM XC i probably ideal even though all of those bikes will handle some track use fine.

I think MegaDeth is right compare to what rpxtreme03 said. i agree trying to kick over a 250 race bike sucks in the woods. and they will always be over heating if your weaving around in first or second the whole day. also you will have to start making trees on the trail for the best ones to lean your race bike against when your ready for a break, or need to help someone out. i think you will be most happy with a 250 xc:thumbsup:

I think MegaDeth is right compare to what rpxtreme03 said. i agree trying to kick over a 250 race bike sucks in the woods. and they will always be over heating if your weaving around in first or second the whole day. also you will have to start making trees on the trail for the best ones to lean your race bike against when your ready for a break, or need to help someone out. i think you will be most happy with a 250 xc:thumbsup:

I don't have a KTM/Husqvarna/GasGas and I enjoy my woods riding just fine. There's aftermarket kickstands/guards/clutches available. I have both the 250F and 250 smoker MX bikes. Both are great. Don't overheat. Don't cause me any trouble with kickstarting. Only stall if I'm too slow with the clutch. Take the same effort to jet. Get traction on a 19" rear knobby once I air down to 4PSI if necessary. Don't pinch flat. Don't use too much fuel. Can get cheap used OEM or aftermarket routinely from classified ads. Are reliable, lightweight, low cost, fun machines. :)

Not saying the Euro brands shouldn't be considered but if you're on a budget and want to have fun you don't hafta pay the premium. :lol:

I don't have a KTM/Husqvarna/GasGas and I enjoy my woods riding just fine. There's aftermarket kickstands/guards/clutches available. I have both the 250F and 250 smoker MX bikes. Both are great. Don't overheat. Don't cause me any trouble with kickstarting. Only stall if I'm too slow with the clutch. Take the same effort to jet. Get traction on a 19" rear knobby once I air down to 4PSI if necessary. Don't pinch flat. Don't use too much fuel. Can get cheap used OEM or aftermarket routinely from classified ads. Are reliable, lightweight, low cost, fun machines. :)

Not saying the Euro brands shouldn't be considered but if you're on a budget and want to have fun you don't hafta pay the premium. :lol:

Baby :banghead: