Sign in to follow this  

Anyone have an 83 stator cover they want to sell?

I have some small chips at the bottom of my stator cover and 3 gaskets later it still drips oil. Theres one on ebay but it looks like crap. Ive considered putting it on a surfacing table and sanding it down but I dont know if thats going to jack up the clearance between the stator and the flywheel. If anyone has an extra Ill take it off your hands.

Why don't you try a coating of JBweld or the like over it and sand it back to a smooth surface,,Thoroughly clean the application area of surface oil with isopropyl alcohol or meths before using the JB,,Even a bit of the modern type gasket goo applied onto the gasket around that part should cure it,,Not too much,,don't want the stuff getting into the engine area,,Some of the modern stuffs kinda good,,almost like silicon..hence you don't want it in the engine.,I always apply a bit of goo on sidecover gaskets be they new or not,,two sealant systems are better than one.,,ie gasket and goo..

Why don't you try a coating of JBweld or the like over it and sand it back to a smooth surface,,Thoroughly clean the application area of surface oil with isopropyl alcohol or meths before using the JB,,

Well every time I take the cover off it costs me another gasket. at $15 a piece I would rather get a good cover and be done with it. It would be nice if someone like Boysen made aftermarket covers. I have Boysen covers on my 86 cr500 and they are pretty sweet.

Well every time I take the cover off it costs me another gasket. at $15 a piece I would rather get a good cover and be done with it. It would be nice if someone like Boysen made aftermarket covers. I have Boysen covers on my 86 cr500 and they are pretty sweet.

Fair enough,,I've had that cover off my 89 XR/XL 600 bitza about 4 times now due to my electrical issues and am still using the same home made paper gasket with a bit of goo applied each time..No leaks.,Not that much oil chugging around there to be honest,,You really only need to do the bottom half of the gasket with the goo..

Fair enough,,I've had that cover off my 89 XR/XL 600 bitza about 4 times now due to my electrical issues and am still using the same home made paper gasket with a bit of goo applied each time..No leaks.,Not that much oil chugging around there to be honest,,You really only need to do the bottom half of the gasket with the goo..

I tried goo last time and it didnt help. My goo is pretty old though.

Fill the chips with JB Weld and smooth it out to match the original surface. The key is making surface is cleaned so thereisn't any residue before applying it.

If you do it correctly it should seal. Be careful not to cause any other spots when surfacing the repaired area. I use 3m weatherstrip adhesive on the cover side of the gasket after it dries put good silicone sealer on the other.

I have fixed holes punched in side covers from rocks and crashes over the years with it also. :lol:

My XR650L has a repair from the PO that have been fine also. It's not pretty but it works. I'll fix it so it's better then new this winter. :banghead:

:)

I might try that with the current cover after I get a better one. I would rather have a cover with no chips over a cover thats doctored. Just the way I roll.

Send me the cover I'll weld it up and send it back. just welded new tabs on my dual carbs where they bolt together, both were broke off my 86 carbs, have 83's on it now, going to try the 86's for fun

Thanks Thump, my neighbor does alum welding so Ive got that covered. Again if I do anything Ill do it on a spare cover.

Send me the cover I'll weld it up and send it back. just welded new tabs on my dual carbs where they bolt together, both were broke off my 86 carbs, have 83's on it now, going to try the 86's for fun

Do your '83 30mm carbs have round or oval bores when you look threw them?

:lol:

Do your '83 30mm carbs have round or oval bores when you look threw them?

I think their round, why?

Thanks Thump, my neighbor does alum welding so Ive got that covered. Again if I do anything Ill do it on a spare cover.

Make sure he sees that big "MAGNESIUM" text on the cover before he strikes an arc. :)

If you're not worried about originality, look for a cover off of any kickstart-only '83-00 RFVC 500 or 600. '88+ is regular aluminum and doesn't say "magnesium" on the side. Paint it black and not many onlookers would notice. :lol:

Mine are oval, there the ones that are about .1 larger ones than the 86's, I have two sets of them one to use the other I could use but I have to weld one ear back on.

I think their round, why?

Because the carbs on my "now 85/86 XL600R parts mutt"(cracked frame) are 28mm oval bore round slide carbs. The primary carb is 28mm x 31mm and the secondary carb is 28mm x 33mm. They have incredible response and seem to flow great at high rpm's also.

If the '83 carbs are round bores the later oval bores will have better response and will flow more air for more power. Better fuel economy too, if I could keep the front end down. :banghead:

The head on my bike has a small primary intake port and a large secondary intake port. The exhaust are both huge compared to my slow XR650L.

I'm just planning for the XR???L mutt project... :)

Make sure he sees that big "MAGNESIUM" text on the cover before he strikes an arc. :)

If you're not worried about originality, look for a cover off of any kickstart-only '83-00 RFVC 500 or 600. '88+ is regular aluminum and doesn't say "magnesium" on the side. Paint it black and not many onlookers would notice. :lol:

Hell yes! If the 88+ are aluminum Ill get one anodized instead of painted. How far up does the cover go before they are incompatible with the 83?

Yea HeadTrama, I would weld it mag rod, no big, done it many times.

But yea if voodoo, if your heighbor does it for you, using alum rod will make a mess,use mag rod. Magnesium is much more brittle than alum so I do a little pre and post heat,then cool in kitty litter (clean doesn't stink), just to be on the safe side, like welding cast iron.

Mine are oval, there the ones that are about .1 larger ones than the 86's, I have two sets of them one to use the other I could use but I have to weld one ear back on.

Is the .1 larger in bore and height?

A 28mm primary with a 30mm secondary carb is suposed too be a nice combo too I heard.

I don't weld magnesium and JB weld has always worked for me. I wish I had a TIG...

Sorry VooDoo don't mean to highjack the thread:ride:

Is the .1 larger in bore and height?

A 28mm primary with a 30mm secondary carb is suposed too be a nice combo too I heard.

I don't weld magnesium and JB weld has always worked for me. I wish I had a TIG...

The 83's are both 26 x 32mm, and the 86's are both 26 x 30mm, I forgot to mention I am talking xl600r, not xr's. The 83 xl600 is the hot rod of all 600's and 650's. They have the biggest carbs, and all xl's have bigger intake ports than the xr's, as both are the same size. Also the header on the xl600 is bigger than the xr650.

So if your looking to flow some air, get a xl600 header and a set of 83 xl carbs and match port the head.

Edited by thumpharder

Hell yes! If the 88+ are aluminum Ill get one anodized instead of painted. How far up does the cover go before they are incompatible with the 83?

"83-00 kickstart-only RFVC 500s and 600s" covers the entire production run.