Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha YFZ450 voltage problem

Well since no one answered my previous thread, I decided to go out and just try new bulbs. When I put them in, they worked fine, but I revved it and when it got to high rpms, the bulb blew. This means it's getting too much voltage, but what exactly would be causing this and how do I fix it? I don't know what to check first.

no, voltage regulator just sends the proper votage back to the battery. If it was bad all it does is kill your battery, not your lights. If it was your stator it would be blowing the fuse. If its blowing the bulb itself there has to be a short somewhere. Follow the wires back to the loom and look for exposed wires touching ground somewhere.

You need a new voltage regulator. It controls the voltage to the battery and also regulates the AC voltage to the headlight. When this happens you are almost better off to buy a hi output stator kit, as the cost of the new regulator is about $100. Check the link below for our kit, we offer TT discounts also.

http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/yamaha-yfz450-high-output-stator-p-354.html

no, voltage regulator just sends the proper votage back to the battery. If it was bad all it does is kill your battery, not your lights. If it was your stator it would be blowing the fuse. If its blowing the bulb itself there has to be a short somewhere. Follow the wires back to the loom and look for exposed wires touching ground somewhere.

Not the case, a short would not blow bulbs, in fact with a short the bulbs would be extremely dim as the power would be "shorted" as opposed to reaching the bulbs. The YFZ like many new atvs and motorcycles use a regulator that can handle both outputs of the stator. One output for charging and one output for the headlights.:bonk: