Sign in to follow this  

quick question

While browsing Craigslist I've seen a few 2009 250 f bikes of different manufactures and more than one claim that bike needs a "tune up ". What does that really mean ??

Usually that the motor is trashed.

Nice response, and my thoughts exactly. If you are running a modern bike long enough to notice motor issues, it cannot be good.

2009 250 f bikes would be 4 strokes
Yup I know this is a two stroke site ,That's why I'm asking here instead of 4 stroke site . Need honest answers .
  • Like 1

Yup I know this is a two stroke site ,That's why I'm asking here instead of 4 stroke site . Need honest answers .

Oh, if you want honest answers you came to the right place :lol:

It usually means that the valves need adjusted, so then it will start and run long enough to put the rod through the cases lol.

• Like 1

It usually means that the valves need adjusted, so then it will start and run long enough to put the rod through the cases lol.

That's what I thought also,just needed a little conformation since most people like myself would do what's needed to make sure what I'm selling doesn't come back to haunt me. My be I'm just a little honest I don't want to get screwed or screw someone over.Just me though.

:lol:

cwtoyota, it's probably a lot funnier to those of us that don't own a 250f lol.

nicko-31, in all seriousness, I have owned several 4 strokes, never have had one blow up on me, but I don't put a lot of hours on them, and I do take very good care of them. Most of the used ones I see are pretty thrashed. It is possible to get a good one, but I would be extremely careful buying one. Someone who knows what to look for can spot the decent ones, but save yourself the bother, and just buy a 2 stroke.

As everyone else has stated... it usually means that the motor has been neglected and put through the ringer (esp on 250f's since they are wound to the moon) so the owner wants to sell it to someone that doesnt know any better before it lets go and they are stuck with the bill. Sad part is that people dont do the proper research and dont know what to look for and still buy them then wonder why they drop a valve 2 rides later.

cwtoyota, it's probably a lot funnier to those of us that don't own a 250f lol.

nicko-31, in all seriousness, I have owned several 4 strokes, never have had one blow up on me, but I don't put a lot of hours on them, and I do take very good care of them. Most of the used ones I see are pretty thrashed. It is possible to get a good one, but I would be extremely careful buying one. Someone who knows what to look for can spot the decent ones, but save yourself the bother, and just buy a 2 stroke.

I actually have a sweet little YZ 125 V , I've never owned or even ridden a modern 4 stoke MX bike that's why I'm questioning. No matter how bad opp-ions of 4 strokes might be I'm like most of us a rider first then after that loyal to what works and will allow me to ride longer for less cash.

For used 4 strokes its all on how you take care of them. I bought a brand new yz450f 09 at my dealer as a left over and i do oil changes every 8 to 10 hours. And clean air filter every ride.

But personally man, if your going to take that chance of some neglecting that bike, then i would maybe look into a Yz250 or Yz125.

Both of these bikes absolutley rip!!! Plus the yz250 is waaay more fun so thats why im making the switch back