Sign in to follow this  

07 or 08 motor in an 06 frame?

Saturdays ride was very short & costly. I'm thinking about a motor swap instead of a complete rebuild right now, for time sake. Question is will either 07 or 08 motor drop right in and what problems will there be using the 06 electronics. Thanks for any insight You guys have.

You don't need a 08 wiring harness to run an 08 engine in a 06 bike.

You do because of the shift sensor. You could run it but you would have to unhook the sensor, which could cause flame out in the lower gears.

All of the older years have the flame out problem. And it would just as much as the older bikes then.

Flame out problem...? The only time my '02 even thinks about flaming out is if I try lugging it below 1500 RPM - which is lower than its idle speed.

My '02 never flames out. I can crawl through a tight turn in 2nd, never touching the clutch lever and it just chugs on through. Flame outs are usually do to the mixture screw being set wrong.

Edited by mrmoto35

02-03 doesnt experience it much because of the heavier flywheel and milder cam. 04-08 had much lighter flywheels and a harsher cam grind.

My 02 has an 04 flywheel and 05 ignition. A 13.5:1 piston and a stock cam.

Edited by mrmoto35

02-03 doesnt experience it much because of the heavier flywheel and milder cam. 04-08 had much lighter flywheels and a harsher cam grind.

The early cams are far more aggressive than the late cams, with the '02 cam being more aggressive than a Stage 1 Hotcam (I think some compare it to a stage 2?). Flameouts are usually caused by going lean - with a properly sorted carb flameouts are not likely to happen.

The sensor doesnt have anything to do with the bike "flaming out". The sensor simply backs off the ignition timing in the first couple gears.

Any kind of "flame out" issue is from poor carb settings.

Sounds like you should try the swap and let us know if the newer motor feels any different at low speed compared to your old 06 motor.

My 07 kills once in a while when going very slow in 1st gear over logs or rocks, but I generally attribute that to rider error - should have feathered the clutch better.