Sign in to follow this  

4 valve xr 200 and 2 valve xr 200 what fits?

I have a chance to pick up a 4 valve rvfc xr 200 engine cheap.

The head is allegedly cracked and I need an XR 200 engine. Will a reguakr 2 valve XR200 head work on that engine.

What if any parts interchange any one know an easy way to gather this info?

Thanks for the quick response bud. Now what if I have an old xr 250 head same approximate era. Any chance that will bolt on I'm guessing with a bit of a compression loss if it fits.

Appreciate your input pal.

The problem is the stud spacing on the XR200 compared to the 250 engines because the XR200 is based on the early XL125 engine and as far as I know the 250 engine is a fresh design. The base gasket has the stud spacing and the liner OD so you could check base gasket part numbers to see if you get a match.

Thanks Chuck for your sage input and direction. I checked and the base gasket is the same. The head gasket is different I would assume to allow for a larger bore size. Then I start to ponder cam chain length etc.

I guess the best way would be to get both heads and have a long hard look at them side by side. I think the bext thing now would be to post and ask if anyone else has done this.

Thanks for your thoughts. Much Appreciated.

Take care,

Phil

Careful when checking part fiche. Honda went to great lengths in the mid eighties to confuse customers, the secret designator is the suffix "R" on the model name or the lack of.

79 XR185 is the two valve engine

81-83 XR200R is the two valve engine

81-84 XR200 is the two valve engine

84-85 XR200R is the RFVC engine.

86-02 XR200R is the two valve engine.

The 84-85 XR200R is the XR250R engine with less displacement. This engine, and later XR/XL/250s, weighs about 20lbs more than the two valve engine, not the best choice for a trail bike. I checked the base gaskets and the two valve and RFVC gaskets are different.

Hope this helps

I had a 84 XR250 frame (with title) and wanted to put a two valve motor in it, first blush it looked like an easy job. Further research indicated every mount bracket on the frame was in a different location :)

Way too much work so I put all of the suspension pieces on a 90 XR200R, nice bike. :lol: