Sign in to follow this  

Thread pitch on generator side of crank of CR250

I'm turning up a flywheel weight for a 01 CR250, I need to cut an internal thread in the weight to screw it on to the crank . Looking at the crank threads they look like M12 fine(12mm),however,a M12 fine nut won't screw on,neither will a standard M12 nut, what thread is this? Thanks.

Thanks to mark5pto I've just spent $20 on a 12mm x 1.25 tap that is NOT the same thread as the crank,if you don't know the answer to my question don't just guess!

So the thread must either be M12 x 1, or M12 x 1.5, it doesn't look fine enough for the first so it should be the latter.

maybe you could measure the threads. 1, 1.25, 1.5 just means the distance of each thread in mm. or take the nut to a hardware store and see what bolt it threads onto lol

I didnt "guess" at the thread pitch. I measured my old generator nut, which has the same part # as your bike, and came up with the 1.25. I will remeasure tomorrow (as my tap/die set is at work) .........

KTM, yeah I know what the 1.0,1.25,1.5 stands for ,there isn't a nut and bolt store within 10 miles of me,and very doubtful if they would stock metric fine.

Mtrehy, most of the stuff I work on is UNC or UNF(and I don't need to measure those,I can eyeball them), I only use the stock metric stuff for bolting together 'general' items. 99% of my taps and dies are Imperial.

Mark5pt0, I will be interested on what your remeasure is,I tried to run the new M12 X 1.25 taps I bought through the generator nut but it is VERY tight,and I can feel it cutting the thread. It did appear to be a match for the thread on the end of the crank though,so, I tapped the flywheel weight, but it will only 'just' start to screw on to the crank and then it locks up. I have cut the threads perfectly and both the crank threads and flywheel weight threads are clean. I don't want to force it and ruin the crank.

Hey Armcosurfer,

I measured the generator nut again, trying a 1.0, 1.25 and 1.5 pitch. Its definately a 1.25 pitch. I even put it under a lighted magnifier for a close, precise look at the mating of the tool vs. the threads. I cant answer why your flywheel wont thread onto the crank smoothly....wish I knew why......Hope you get it solved.